Question regarding saving

(I'm not entirely sure if someone has already asked this, I apologize if they have)

So, when I play on survival mode I am unable to save my progress. I've looked at the key bindings numerous times to make sure that I didn't mess anything up, and I haven't to my knowledge. Pressing F5 doesn't save my progress. I've had to resort to just keeping the game open at all times so that I don't lose my progress. What am I doing wrong?

(I've been playing the Long Dark for a few months and this issue just started)

Edited by domestic dingo

The game is automatically saved when you sleep, and when you go inside a building (when you see the loading screen). You can see a small walking wolf icon in the buttom right (or left) that indicates the game is being saved.

5 hours ago, WillemD said:

The game is automatically saved when you sleep, and when you go inside a building (when you see the loading screen). You can see a small walking wolf icon in the buttom right (or left) that indicates the game is being saved.

The walking wolf usually appears with the loading screen and does not indicate that the game is saving.  It will say "Saving" in the lower right corner when a save happens.  That usually happens just after or at the end of the loading screen.  Passing time for at least an hour also saves progress.

If you're inside a building and want to save, just exit and re-enter the building and the save will happen when you re-enter.  Or if you're outdoors and warm enough or have a good fire going, pass time or sleep for an hour to save.  

Edited by MrWolf

The game also auto-saves when you're injured.  So another rather extreme method to force a save is to do something to hurt yourself, like walk on a slope until you sprain something.  Can't think of a whole lot of scenarios where you'd want to do that, but it's an option.

The exception is Timberwolf drive-by chompings.  The game doesn't auto-save after one of those.

• Upvote 1