Does anyone have numbers on fish population depletion rates?

GarlicPops

Since the Vigilant Trespass update the game features a wildlife depletion rate where animals will become more scarce the longer you survive on any given sandbox game. 

However I remember reading somewhere on the wiki a long time ago that a similar depletion rate also applies to fish. According to what I've read the more you fish on a given region the less fish will start to come by per fishing session over time.

However I tend to be super conservative with food and don't normally fish very often, so I haven't played long enough on any given world to actually feel a significant change on fish population.

Does anyone have played long enough on a world and managed to fish enough times on a region to feel any difference? Or did the fish population not decay at all? If anyone can answer that I'd be glad.

i have never noticed any decrease in fish population, but the random nature of fishing makes it hard to analyze in my opinion.  you would need a huge sample size of hours and to record all your yields, making a 'fish per hour' statistic. would be difficult to do on loper because of the weather and fuel requirements it would take to burn 100's of hours of fire

• Upvote 2

From 500+ days on Interloper, I can stay fishing in the same hut on day 200 and 400 for a week or two and average 1 fish per 2 hours, plus 1-2 extra fish per 5 hours if I can fish for an extended period without stopping to cook. I've not noticed a difference from the age of my survivor, but I haven't fished much before day 100.

Fishing is not really worth it until you get double bearskin coat made; otherwise, those fish will cost a lot of firewood. It's mostly for getting the bear over for an easy kill, hoarding lantern fuel, passing days without passing time, and things like that. Ocean fish are much larger, so that the firewood wasted is constant but you get more calories in return.

p.s. GarlicPops, I like your avatar. :)

Edited by Gun Tech.
  • Upvote 1

On 5/27/2020 at 5:27 PM, Gun Tech. said:

From 500+ days on Interloper, I can stay fishing in the same hut on day 200 and 400 for a week or two and average 1 fish per 2 hours, plus 1-2 extra fish per 5 hours if I can fish for an extended period without stopping to cook. I've not noticed a difference from the age of my survivor, but I haven't fished much before day 100.

Fishing is not really worth it until you get double bearskin coat made; otherwise, those fish will cost a lot of firewood. It's mostly for getting the bear over for an easy kill, hoarding lantern fuel, passing days without passing time, and things like that. Ocean fish are much larger, so that the firewood wasted is constant but you get more calories in return.

p.s. GarlicPops, I like your avatar. :)

Thanks for the insight.

I'm glad you like my avatar ;)

Edited by GarlicPops