Question about bleed out mechanics Moose vs. Bear

piddy3825

The other day as I was leaving the farmhouse in PV early in the morning to head up to Pensive Pond do to some fishing as I needed some lamp oil...  

I end up running into the bear just outside the front door.  I put an arrow in his rump then retreated inside.  I came out the back by the enclosed porch and put another shaft into him before closing the door.  In his frustration and rage he bolts off towards the hay shed down by the road.  I grab my pistol and decide to track this beast so I follow his blood trail from a discrete distance and watch and wait.  I'm far enough away that I can see him but not close enough to be noticed.  I duck walk all the way down to the hay shed where I decide to rest for an hour in order to warm back up.  As I leave the shed, I see the bear, still nearby and reacquire the blood trail.  The wind is blowing now like a banshee and my temp is dropping quick again so I bolt back to the safety of the hay shed.  Again I hunker down and pass time about an hour.  I can still hear it blowing so I wait another hour.  I figure the bear is probably gone by now but when I emerge from the shed, I see his carcass laying in the little clearing where the orchard ends and the wooded area begins.  I figure that took about 4 hours.

screen_5dbe9699-4fc9-447c-a3a0-340f8c91cde5_hi.thumb.png.fb174ecf8ec63fc68e4145635ab642df.png

A couple of days later, I still need some lamp oil, so I get up and leave early in the morning to Pensive pond to do some fishing.  

When I get to the fishing shack I run in Bullwinkle and our dance begins!  I loft an arrow and it strikes true.  The moose turns to charge and I jump into shack and close the door.  I hear him tromping around and he suddenly runs away.  I leave the relative safety of the shack to climb the rocks looking down over the docs.  Fortunately for me the weather is calm and sunny so I hunker down and use the rock face to my advantage.  Over the course of the next 8 hours I shoot this Bull with 3 arrows and 3 revolver bullets each time with him chasing me up on the rocks.  Each time I came and looked for a blood trail I find nothing.  Not a drop. 

screen_13fc269d-3335-449f-9ced-3106225e8768_hi.thumb.png.0cabc8a97b32260bad71d80a7c93eb32.png

I'm thinking is this thing wearing armor or what?   It's now getting close to dusk when I come down from my rocky perch and sprint back to the shelter of the fishing shack.   Across the pond up on the bank, this Bull just looks like he isn't going down anytime soon.  I decide to shoot my last arrow at him and as he turns his back to me the flight I had just loosed finds it's mark and he drops like a rock.  

screen_6e57f5e0-1007-47da-9915-802ea59afbcd_hi.thumb.png.591e5197eb81129da63da2ad6115261d.png

screen_80983da9-a833-45ef-bf0f-3cbf34c6d762_hi.thumb.png.35faa1ccb119adae63753b2c51ba137b.png

In case your wondering the dots that look like they could be blood are stones.  Btw, really love this arrow retrieval fix.  I did manage to recover all four of my precious arrows.

So why this big disparity on bleed out times?  Has the bear just been nerfed down so much he is almost a guaranteed one shot kill?  Does it even matter how many times you shoot either animal?  Is there a significant difference in how much damage and arrow does vs. a pistol bullet or a rifle bullet?  Does the impact area make a difference?  Say lung shot vs head shot?  Or shot to the body?  The three pistol rounds would have been lungs and or stomach.  the arrow on snow was in the right side behind the right front foreleg.  It was the butt shot that finally brought him down.

aftermath...

screen_dca963d5-0722-4fe2-9757-5bfe5a7f8558_hi.thumb.png.c1ccbc886d419ef6719fb055afd042ae.png

Hmmm... yum!  Grilled Moose, it's what's for dinner!  

screen_3c4636b2-41a3-4f7e-aff7-88630acca8ad_hi.thumb.png.b4122cc3806ee364d638668e5053553d.png

sleeping warm and comfy tonight on my new moose hide rug!

Bears bleed out. 
Moose don’t.  
both have a number of hit points that have to be drained to kill the animal.  The difference is that the bear can be drained with a bleeding wound over time, while the moose has to be shot until it dies.  
ive killed bears with one arrow, and even one flare from the pistol!  I imagine those were critical hits.  
I’ve also killed moose with one shot, maybe four or five times actually, so it’s not that uncommon.  
usually tho, bears take three or four arrows to finish without waiting for them to bleed out.  You can get a guaranteed two arrows by setting a fire and drawing the bear to it with your first shot.  It will stop at the fire and you can nail it again, at which point the bear almost always runs away.  But it will stop after a while and if you follow you can do it again.  

pistol shots don’t hurt moose much, in my experience.  Shot a moose twice with arrows in chest and head and then was out of arrows, took seven more shots with revolver to kill the dang thing!

• Upvote 1