Vengence is mine!

dahemac

A while back, three timberwolves west of the cannery came within a hair’s breadth of killing me before shooting them repeatedly in the face drove them off, none of them dead.

Today I headed back that way and made my way up onto a fallen tree overlooking the path to the trailers along the coast. And I waited. Soon they came. Snarling and bloodthirsty. So I loosed arrows at them, always trying to hit the one that already had arrows in it. Soon the first wolf went down.

My last arrow pierced another attacker, but still they raged. Perhaps more so with the death of their pack mate.

Out came my rifle. One shot, two. Finally their moral broke and the two survivors fled east.

I climbed down carefully as I had already gotten one sprain getting into position. I took to butchering my prize, during which time the second, wounded timberwolf saw fit to come up behind me and die. So I harvested it as well.

Perhaps the survivor will now think twice about menacing me as I go about my Bleak business.

10 hours ago, dahemac said:

A while back, three timberwolves west of the cannery came within a hair’s breadth of killing me before shooting them repeatedly in the face drove them off, none of them dead.

Today I headed back that way and made my way up onto a fallen tree overlooking the path to the trailers along the coast. And I waited. Soon they came. Snarling and bloodthirsty. So I loosed arrows at them, always trying to hit the one that already had arrows in it. Soon the first wolf went down.

My last arrow pierced another attacker, but still they raged. Perhaps more so with the death of their pack mate.

Out came my rifle. One shot, two. Finally their moral broke and the two survivors fled east.

I climbed down carefully as I had already gotten one sprain getting into position. I took to butchering my prize, during which time the second, wounded timberwolf saw fit to come up behind me and die. So I harvested it as well.

Perhaps the survivor will now think twice about menacing me as I go about my Bleak business.

Aye, the old dahemac is not one to be trifled with. He shall eat them fiendish beasts, so their power shall enter his bones and drive him ever forward, a nightmare to all wolves on the Great Bear...

17 hours ago, Hotzn said:

He shall eat them fiendish beasts…

I worry about parasites. At one time I was stuck in Broken Railroad for two weeks, sick as a dog, boiling Reishi tea, as much as I could find. It was not the best experience. Wolf meat can stay where I find it.

1 hour ago, dahemac said:

Good lord! Does the cooking XP work like that? Number of tiny bits of meat you cook?

For now, yes. You gain cooking XP based on the number of cooked foods you remove from a fire. It doesn't matter if the thing you cook is 1kg of bear meat or 0.01kg of rabbit meat.

So, if you're patient enough to spend the effort when harvesting a carcass, you can cancel harvesting as soon as you start to get a small sliver of meat. Repeat continuously until you get a backpack full of tiny bits of meat, then cook them for a minute each and power-level your cooking skill.

Is this an exploit or working as intended? That's up to you to decide. It's a single-player game, so do whatever you want.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, acada said:

How do you get 0,01 kg steaks? Thats 10 grams. My smallest were 0,1 kg.

When you are harvesting a carcass, increase the harvest amount to maximum, then reduce it down to one click from minimum. For example, if you have a rabbit that has 1.2kg of meat, you want to be harvesting 0.2kg of meat.

Then, when harvesting the 0.2kg of meat, as the circle starts to fill, press the escape key when it's only about a tenth of the way through the process. This will cancel the action and give you a tenth of the 0.2kg. You can fiddle with the amount again by increasing and decreasing the harvested amount. The best I've ever managed was a single 0.05kg full harvest circle, which you can cancel part way through for even less meat taken per harvest.

• Upvote 2

Aaah. I always selected 0,5kg and canceled it when it was about one quarter in progress. But I think I will remain using 100 grams steak. You know, it sound reasonable such size. I know for americans cowboys it is pretty small one. But here it is common size.

• Upvote 1