Beachcombing - a Guide

EjectedCasings

So, I've done a little bit of research and experimenting with beachcombing. Specifically, the edge of Jackrabbit island. I have a temporary base there as I do some experimenting.

Some questions I plan on answering: 

-Does the weight of your character affect the chance of you falling in?

-Are there any reliable ways to collect items without falling in?

-What items will and won't spawn?

-How long are respawn times?

If you have any tips and tricks or answers to these questions, post it here please!

Edited by EjectedCasings

The wiki covers this topic pretty well, including an itemized list of things that can wash up while beachcombing.  Your odds of falling through the ice are not affected by anything--it's simply a 5 second timer from the moment you get the weak ice alert.  If you're not on solid ground by the time your 5 seconds are up, you fall in, and teleport back to where you first set foot on the weak ice.

Different areas have more weak ice than others.  And some have none at all, meaning you can walk right up to your item and grab it, risk free.  The more valuable items tend to spawn on areas with a great deal of weak ice.  So much so that it may be impossible to grab it and safely return, meaning you simply have to accept that you'll fall in and plan accordingly.

17 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

The wiki covers this topic pretty well, including an itemized list of things that can wash up while beachcombing.  Your odds of falling through the ice are not affected by anything--it's simply a 5 second timer from the moment you get the weak ice alert.  If you're not on solid ground by the time your 5 seconds are up, you fall in, and teleport back to where you first set foot on the weak ice.

Different areas have more weak ice than others.  And some have none at all, meaning you can walk right up to your item and grab it, risk free.  The more valuable items tend to spawn on areas with a great deal of weak ice.  So much so that it may be impossible to grab it and safely return, meaning you simply have to accept that you'll fall in and plan accordingly.

The TL;DR: get nekkid before you make your dash for whatever it is you want to pick up.