No Ammo

epower

Playing a custom Sleepwalker 4 variant with low resource availability but with Rifle and Revolver checked "yes" in the settings.

To date I've scoured Mystery Lake, Milton, CH and DP and found not a single stray round of either rifle or Revolver Ammo.  I did find two revolvers with 2 rounds each and an empty rifle.

Three possibilities:

1. I am despised by the RNG Gods
  2. Bug
  3. By design

Anybody else noticing this on low resource level custom games?  I'm going to hit PV and Timberwolf next and will report back.

Guest jeffpeng
30 minutes ago, epower said:

low resource availability

Means it's using interloper loot tables, which would mean no rifle (and probably no rifle ammo), period, and apparently only a very low chance to find a revolver, and a very low chance to find ammunition, which I so far have found on standard interloper, in HRV to be exact.

Interesting. 

25 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Means it's using interloper loot tables, which would mean no rifle (and probably no rifle ammo), period, and apparently only a very low chance to find a revolver, and a very low chance to find ammunition, which I so far have found on standard interloper, in HRV to be exact.

Interesting.  It hasn't worked that way in my pre- Errant Pilgrim custom low resource runs.  There I was practically drowning in rifle ammunition  (15-20 rounds.  some in boxes many loose)  Never have found loose revolver ammo before or currently but that's another conversation.

In both past (pre-1.67) and current runs I've found rifles and revolvers.  Something seems to have changed as I haven't a single rifle cartridge or firearm cleaning kit. 

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, epower said:

In both past (pre-1.67) and current runs I've found rifles and revolvers.  Something seems to have changed as I haven't a single rifle cartridge or firearm cleaning kit. 

You sure you had low baseline? Because I remember trying with "Rifles" on before, and certainly didn't find any rifle related stuff.

11 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

You sure you had low baseline? Because I remember trying with "Rifles" on before, and certainly didn't find any rifle related stuff.

Yes.  Absolutely.  I always select interloper on the custom screen these slide it over to Custom then make a few adjustments to taste (modified SW4)

I'll need to clean out PV and TM before I can make any definitive judgements but it seems like somethings different in Errant pilgrim.  Time will tell.

Edited by epower

Guest jeffpeng
5 minutes ago, epower said:

Yes.  Absolutely.  I always select interloper on the custom screen these slide it over to Custom then make a few adjustments to taste (modified SW4)

Just looked up the actual description of the Custom Mode setting for baseline .... and you're right. It should have rifles in it. Maybe I am mistaken? Very possible.

Edit: Wait.... I actually did play a custom game with low baseline AND rifles (I called that mode "Outcast") ... and it had rifles in it, albeit not very common. Forget what I said. Yes, you are absolutely right. It should have rifles.

Edited by jeffpeng

It's possible (and I would certainly consider this a bug) that ammo comes from the baseline loot settings, so checking 'yes' to the guns doesn't actually make their ammo and cleaning kits spawn. Keep investigating, and once you've gathered enough data to back up that claim (literally no bullets or cartridges not found already loaded) , I'd submit it as a bug. 

• 2 weeks later...

Going to report this as a bug.  Cleaned out PV (in addition to Milton, DP, CH  and ML) and not a single round of ammo or firearm cleaning kit to be found.  By contrast my character from 1.67 with identical resource settings and PV, CH, ML plus Milton explored has 18 rifle cartridges and several firearm cleaning kits. 

As a test I fired up another custom character with the same ultra-low resource settings but passive wildlife and nicer weather to aid quick exploration.  Same deal. Rifle found but no ammo or firearm cleaning kits in ML, CH, PV. 

Intended or not, there's been a major change in regard to Ammunition and firearm cleaning kit availability since the Errant Pilgrim update.

Same problem here. On custom low  resource availability scenarios  I always find guns but no rfile ammo and, rarely, a couple of revolver bullets. It is like the game wanted to force the player to go to Bleak Inlet early on. Not a good gameplay decision IMHO. It should make the ammos scarcer but still be available.

9 hours ago, Dominique said:

It should make the ammos scarcer but still be available.

I agree.  As I mentioned I was awash in rifle cartridges in 1.67.  In addition to the 18  collected or fired I may have also stashed an additional box of 10 at the Dam trailer.  Alas, that character is recovering from a recent wolf assault in Milton so checking on that is not gonna happen anytime soon, especially with Sleepwalker recovery settings.   

I'd like to see around 10-20 rifle cartridges in the entire world on low custom settings.  I'd be ok with less but I do prefer the rifle for hunting large game since pumping arrows into a charging Bullwinkle is most terrifying.  Oddly, I've never found loose revolver shells, only the 2 that were already loaded in the weapons.

FWIW, I don't believe this is working as intended especially as firearm cleaning kits are also missing.  Errant Pilgrim was a massive update and some bugs are likely to sneak thru.  Time will tell.

On 1/7/2020 at 7:17 AM, Dominique said:

Same problem here. On custom low  resource availability scenarios  I always find guns but no rfile ammo and, rarely, a couple of revolver bullets. It is like the game wanted to force the player to go to Bleak Inlet early on. Not a good gameplay decision IMHO. It should make the ammos scarcer but still be available.

Totally agree, ammo should be rare but more items to craft them (casings, etc) should also spawn on loper loot.  

On 1/8/2020 at 2:04 AM, jeffpeng said:

Bleak Inlet or not - unless you find empty casings it ain't gonna help you. So this is most certainly a bug.

A good point, I thought that the casings would be found close to the milling machine.  It looks like  a bug.  I do not find cleaning kits either BTW. Just the guns. Weird.

• 1 month later...

So, since the original posting in Dec, 1.74 has come out and it looks like they fixed the ammo issue since I have gathered 50+ this run with interloper loot tables.  However, I still have been unable to find any gun cleaning kits with most of the maps explored (ML, MT, HRV, FL, BR, CH, PL), is this intentional?  I find it annoying having the best rifle found at 50% durability, and carrying around multiple rifles for when 1 breaks is just not possible due to their weight.