Adding in the potential for more key bindings

odizzido

I would like to request adding in better key options. This has always been an issue in this game, but what finally made me post is that I am playing a game on a difficulty setting where I cannot find ammo around the world but I did happen to find three rounds in a revolver. I just wasted one of those very valuable rounds trying to open a door inside a cabin. If a separate use button existed this would not have happened. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Hi @odizzido! I'm going to disagree, and I'll tell you why. 

I was out gathering wood with the revolver out and discharged it by accident a few times because I missed the stick. At first I was pissed, but then I thought about it... if you're running around picking up wood with a firearm in your hand, the risk of accidental discharges is probably pretty high; sure it won't happen everytime you pick up a piece of wood but if you're picking up a piece of wood with a gun in your hand, you're definitely risking firing it by accident. Pick up enough wood with it in your hand and loaded, and you eventually will fire it accidentally.

Now, having some kind of percentage chance of having it discharge would be dumb and unfair to the player. However, by having the fire button be the same as the pick up button, the risk is there that you'll be off that stick by a pixel or three and discharge the firearm. It occurred to me after having blown off a few rounds straight into the snow that maybe just maybe I should do that physical labour thing without a gun in my hand; if it's holstered the chance of an accidental discharge is zero.

It also hearkens back to one of the basic design principles of the game; it rewards careful thoughtful behaviour. Take your time and do things right and have no problems, or rush, make mistakes and die once you've made your way through enough mistakes. With a revolver in hand, you can either take your time picking up the wood to be absolutely sure you've got the cursor where it needs to be, or you can holster the weapon and not have to worry about that. I personally have ended up holstering the weapon (bow, rifle, revolver, whatever) when doing things like gathering wood or exploring houses or what have you. It's like the old saws about guns: don't point it anything you don't want to shoot, don't pick it up unless you intend to use it, always be aware of where it's pointing, etc etc etc. The current system makes sense from that perspective.

Heh, if we ever get bodies (i.e. first person presence)  into the player, it would be really awesome if you were gathering wood and screwed it up and fired the pistol and happened to be pointing at your own foot you'd injure yourself (bleeding, sprain, pain, infection risk... heck maybe even a custom affliction called IBM.foot.shoot.reload). It would make a lot of sense and add to the game... imho.

Hope you're having a great day!

• Upvote 1

Sorry but I disagree with this as well.  Trigger discipline is a very real thing.  If you're carrying a weapon, your finger should not be on the trigger until you are ready to fire.  Weapons with a hair trigger are just as prone to accidental misfire as bumping LMB on your mouse.  So the idea of trigger discipline carries over into TLD as a very real consequence of being careless with finger placement.  I will carry a revolver out and about as well in game, and after a few misfires of my own I learned to just keep my index finger over RMB instead of LMB, so even if I do accidentally bump it, no big deal.  This is the gaming equivalent of resting your index finger on the trigger guard. Just think of it as an extra layer of immersion!

• Upvote 2

Guest jeffpeng

@odizzidoIt's not an exactly new idea. There are good arguments for it, and good arguements against it. Trigger discipline really is a thing, so that's a good argument against it. Accidentally throwing stones or lighting matches is a good argument for it, since you wouldn't accidentally pull up a torch and hold a burning match to it. I don't think HL will ever change this, however. This has been in the game since.... there was a game, it's just overly pronounced with the revolver since you can fire it from the hip.