Pain adjustments

GothSkunk

Presently, pain is tied to sprains and set to a fixed time of 2 hours per sprain. That's okay, we can keep that... for sprains. But I think it should exist for other conditions as well, and not be fixed to time. If your condition falls within a threshold due to an attack by wildlife or burning, the Pain flag should trigger, and persist until condition is raised above a certain point.

For example:

76-100(110)% condition = No pain

51-75% condition = Mild pain (wildlife/burn). All RNG actions have their success chance reduced by 20%. Infrequent FOV blurring

26-50% condition = Significant pain (wildlife/burn). All RNG actions have their success chance reduced by 35%. Frequent FOV blurring, limping

<25% condition = Excruciating pain (wildlife/burn). All RNG actions have their success chance reduced by 50%. Persistent FOV blurring, limping

Broken Ribs:

Excruciating pain for days 1-3. Persistent. Cannot be improved.

Significant pain for days 4-7. Persistent. Cannot be improved.

Mild pain for days 7-9. Persistant. Cannot be improved.

Pain abates upon successful treatment of Broken Ribs.

Painkillers:

Painkillers can nullify the effects, temporarily. How long the effect lasts depends on the level of pain you have. 2 hours for excruciating, 4 hours for significant, 6 hours for mild.

Just a suggestion. Feel free to add your own ideas about how it could be implemented. I just think that Pain should be available as a persistent affliction in addition to how it currently exists.

• Upvote 1

Thank you. I find that pain being only used for sprains is ridiculous. Even simple blood loss could cause this. And then there's the concussion affliction from Wintermute Episode 3 for other survivors we could apply here too. 

Bear attacks should also afflict broken ribs but not as frequently. Concussion as well. 

Only issue here is that condition loss attributed to freezing damage (and other damage) shouldn't have the pain affliction applied. 

Edited by Fuarian

Perhaps, and it's an interesting overhaul to think about... however, I don't think this idea addresses the problem that's been described very well.

Since pain is can only be represented as a visual feed back, it can still just be ignored.  I say this because burred screen edges dampened sounds - specifically, the camera tilt is associated with a sprained ankle specifically and not the "pain" aspect associated with it.  Even if a limp is forced - even in the absence of a sprained ankle - it wouldn't be that hard to ignore.

As for so drastically ravaging skill checks... I just don't think that would be fun at all.  Besides it would also serve to virtually destroy entire playstyles (and regardless of how any of us feel about, I don't think those options should be taken away from other players).  I know the retort will likely be something about realism... but as a reminder, it's been expressed by Raph and Hinterland in general that this isn't intended to be a reality simulator but rather a curated experience.  So... while it would make sense in the context that's been described, I think it would very negatively impact the game overall. 

***The simplest solution in my opinion, would be to simply require both a bandage and painkillers to heal sprains on the spot (to clarify, they are currently required individually for two separate conditions... I'm suggesting they simply be a requirement to treat both together instead - as I would believe was intended).  This way, painkillers would mater just as much as they used to, and make sprains all together more expensive to deal with on the spot.***

:coffee::fire:
Full disclosure... personally I always chose to let them heal naturally unless I was in a serious predicament (in other words if I needed to raise a weapon because a predator was stalking and I had no other escape).

Edited by ManicManiac

Guest jeffpeng
On 12/19/2019 at 4:25 PM, ManicManiac said:

***The simplest solution in my opinion, would be to simply require both a bandage and painkillers to heal sprains on the spot (to clarify, they are currently required individually for two separate conditions... I'm suggesting they simply be a requirement to treat both together instead - as I would believe was intended).  This way, painkillers would mater just as much as they used to, and make sprains all together more expensive to deal with on the spot.***

^This.