Fire Pot/Fire Carrier

DarkTreader

I know, I know, there are already a lot of ways to make fires, and we can pull torches all day long to transport fire from point A to B. It may be potentially OP, but in a situation like this where fire == life and matches are scarce, I know this would be the first kind of thing I would try and MacGyver together.

But! Primitive people were pretty smart about this. They realized that starting fires can take a long time, so they created ways to transport fire from point to point, secured and sheltered from the wind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_pot

Concept:
A craftable Fire Pot item that would allow a player to carry embers from one fire to the next. This Fire Pot would require feeding to maintain the embers, or the Fire Pot will go out.

Systems-wise, it would work in a similar fashion to, say, the Storm Lantern - except it would require Tinder instead of Lantern Fuel. While held, it would show the duration remaining on the burn time, but would continue burning even while in the inventory, so the player would have to keep track of the burn times and remember to feed the fire. Total burn time could be, say, 2-4 hours on a fully packed Fire Pot.

Crafting:
2x Recycled Can, 2x Cured Gut, 1x Hide (see below), 4x Sticks, 5x Tinder (any type). Unlocked at Fire Starting 3? 4? Weight: 1.00 kg (or cumulative of all pieces)

Unsure about which hide type would be the best - rabbit would make the most sense, given the size, but since this would make for a huge advantage in a later game, perhaps it should require a resource that takes a bit more investment?

Use:
Using the Fire Pot to start a fire would empty the Fire Pot of all remaining burn time, and transfer it immediately to a stove/furnace/campfire. Can be refilled with 5 Tinder (any type).
5% reduction in condition per fire lit. Can be repaired with a Recycled Can or Scrap Metal.

Metagame:
This would not only give a reason to maintain Tinder stockpiles after the acquisition of Fire Starting 3, but would also provide a worthwhile reason to hang onto Recycled Cans.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I definitely like the idea of it.  It reminds me of, "The Clan of the Cave Bear."

While it may not be a nessisarry addition, it would certainly be a really nice touch.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I think that may've been where I first read about them, many many years ago - carrying a coal from one cave site to the next in an aurochs horn.

While we don't have those horns available, it seems reasonable to be able to rig something together with the materials currently available to us.

@DarkTreader  this is definitely in my top three things I'd find useful, this or a craftable ignition source. It's one of those things that's more about survival long term and the game arguably isn't meant to be so about that.

What we're talking about is effectively a wind proof torch. I like the crafting suggestion but for easy of implementation maybe the thing to do is just let you start a fire from a storm lantern. That way, you still need to obtain fuel to keep this option going. Plus it's a heavy item to out which is a bit of a trade off.

Good idea all the same and good points about it being an early technology.

Edited by Stone
Typo

8 hours ago, Stone said:

I like the crafting suggestion but for easy of implementation maybe the thing to do is just let you start a fire from a storm lantern.

This would be great, and add some more utility to the storm lantern. As it is I wind up hardly using it once I'm past the early game. If any "windproof portable fire" solution were to be implemented, I think it'd have to also mean the end of pulling torches from fires. We'd need to return to brands if this were implemented.