Ammunition Re-Manufacturing

Ice Hole

The idea to have a method for repacking spent shells.  Already we find loose bullets.  These could be turned into empty shells.  Slugs could be recovered from the animals flesh or the projectile could also be obtained from Battery.   This material would then need to be re forged into the proper caliber.  The propellant can also be found but a method to prepare a simple (raw ingredients found in a farm supply store) black powder could be introduced.  The tool to repack will also need to be located.  A good location would be the Hunting lodge.  The amount of live rounds found in the world could then be reduced because now there is a method to replace ammunition.  One more item that should be addressed is the Flare Pistol.  Perhaps the ammo bench can also accommodate this large diameter round.  The projectile could also be upgraded to be more lethal(the current FP is OP IMO).  

Forging projectiles, mixing chemicals and repacking brass is the proposal.

Lock-N-Load

Edited by Ice Hole
  • Like 1

While molds do exist for the .303 Enfield caliber, any cast bullet would just be lead, and you wouldn't be able to give it a copper jacket.  If implemented, the condition of the firearm would decrease more rapidly as lead fouling builds up in the barrel's rifling.

Also, while it may be possible to find reloading supplies, you can't just make primitive black powder and use it in a modern firearm, as the necessary pressures are far different.  To make modern "smokeless" powder, you'd need appropriate chemicals (such as H2SO4 and HNO3), the appropriate lab equipment, and knowledge of what to do.  

Now, on the other hand, I would certainly welcome a black powder rifle.  -I even suggested it a long time ago.  For example, there is a double barreled one, called the Kodiak rifle, sold in a few places.  It comes in different configurations:  2 rifled barrels or 1 rifled and 1 smooth for buckshot.  The large caliber of the rifle would make it a total moose-stopper.😁

Additional...Link to that suggestion:

Edited by Khan_Drichthyes
Additional

8 hours ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

any cast bullet would just be lead

I like the idea of rifle fouling.  I would also like to see backfire or other issues.  There are so many firearms that can be found. The idea to turn some into junk is great.  Maybe elder stalkers or pilgrims will use bow and arrow more often.

Antimony is added to the lead that is found inside Battery.  This resulting alloy is supposed to be less soft and less malleable.  

8 hours ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

Now, on the other hand, I would certainly welcome a black powder rifle

The black powder was known for creating large voluminous clouds of smoke.  This could add drama while discharging, what you were aiming at is obscured.  

The improvised round is not exactly the same as the factory manufactured ammo we find.  This makes found ammo that more precious.

The gun books in game could help by improving recipes or firearms.  Maybe the books could be distinguished.  The ten hour research book could offer the munition/firearm skill advancement.  These books would need to be in inventory in order to have access to these recipes.  The additional ingredients will need to be sourced.

Instead of adding another firearm maybe have the option to remake the current firearms to accept improvised rounds.  Once altered this equipment cannot use factory made ammo.

Huh as "sport" shooter i can give cent or two.

Black powder in modern firearms is useless. Sure, bolt action rifle and revolver in game is less sensitive for ammo quality than semi auto, but there is still problem with low muzzle velocity (due to propellant and lead, non jacked projectile).

So if you dont have any factory components and fabric tool for ammo reloading, you lost. Without fabric components you will not be able to create any functional round of ammo (like .45-70 or .44-40) and you will not be able to produce blackpowder of high quality. You probably end with crippled cartridge filled with powder from matches and it wont anything further than 5 meters. Or it turns your gun into a grenade.

So when you get a gun, buy more ammo and its components. 

I cant imagine own ammo produce in the Long Dark.

I would like to see this. The casings would need to be recovered from the ground or found. However the casings should degrade and the crafted ammunition should be labeled as "crude ammunition" it would also be good to only have a few places where it is possible to craft ammunition. I will do a bigger suggestion on this sometime soon.

They you need static prop, like we have a furnace for black smith, we need reloading press for ammunition production. With static props around this press you can simplify the crafting mechanic only for powder/projectiles or casings/projectiles (missing component is replaced with prop around the press, like cans of powder or boxes of and spread casings).