Patchouli

This is a common topic, and the official response has been that it's out of the question for TLD, because it would require a total overhaul of how the game functions.  They have expressed interest in a made-for-VR game in the future, but have said that adding a VR port of TLD is not in the cards at this time.

I have used VorpX to play the game in VR, although it does require some manual tweaking to link the HMD movement to the mouse, and get the sensitivity just right so you can look around.  And then of course any time you try to navigate a menu, your mouse cursor is flying all over the place because the slightest head movement turns into mouse movement.  And hunting is extra difficult, since the character doesn't look down the iron sights with an eye, it's like the iron sights are pressed up against the bridge of your nose, so neither eye is looking straight down the rifle (or revolver, or bow).  There's other shenanigans as well, like your inventory fills up more than your entire field of view, when you pick up an item and it goes into preview mode, it feels like it's 1" in front of your face, etc.  So definitely not ideal for real play.  But as a novelty, just exploring on Pilgrim or something, it's pretty neat.

Like, @ajb1978 said, It wouldn't work on VR. there would be no way to implement bear and moose struggles effectively,  and Unless there was something preventing people from jumping, nothing is stopping them from climbing things like stairs or going up elevators if they have any IRL.

2 hours ago, gnomegnine said:

Unless there was something preventing people from jumping, nothing is stopping them from climbing things like stairs or going up elevators if they have any IRL.

You don't have 6DOF when playing this via VorpX.  You can look around, but your perspective is fixed.  If you try to move around IRL, it's a little disorienting because your perspective doesn't move accordingly, so it's very much a seated experience.  Although I'd imagine if you were on a swivel chair and had a controller, you could at least turn around in place.  Probably wouldn't be long before you tied yourself up with the HMD cable though, unless you have one of those overhead cable management systems.  Which I do not, because this is a half-assed commitment on my part.

Edit: An arguably more effective but less immersive way to play is to use the virtual screen, where VorpX renders the game in 3D, on a virtual screen placed in front of you.  You have 6DOF within the virtual world, and the game is rendered on a virtual 3D TV.  So you can experience the sense of depth, and can navigate the menus normally, not go cross-eyed every time you pick something up, etc.  But aiming/hunting is still a problem.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Like 1