As the game is created It strikes me as being a finite play.

Annajam

On 7/26/2019 at 6:02 PM, JujuBear said:

Right! Where’s the fun in that? Given that if I had that much resources, I’d go daredevil a bit and get into a tussle with a couple of wolves to live a little. Not the smartest thing to do but better than sitting in a cave right?

I don't know if I'd go that far to get some excitement!  I think I would have a meltdown if I lost that save.

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

I don't know if I'd go that far to get some excitement!  I think I would have a meltdown if I lost that save.

There are many ways to suicide.  My 500-day guy jumped from TWM.  When I get bored with a save on the easier difficulties, I seek out ways to terminate it and start a new one.  Right now, my saves at higher difficulties aren't ever lasting long enough that I get bored with them.  Maybe someday I'll "git good" enough where I'll actually last long enough to get bored with one of those saves and then I'll consider it a real privilege to have that character jump from TWM as well... and after that, there's always an assortment of custome challenges as excuses to start new runs.

14 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

We get our adrenaline rush from the game in many different ways haha. I only do it with wolves. With a bear though, I'd be camping in a rinky dink car by the road for the entire day XD

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marcurios

i just realized that you will die of the cold eventually, when all scrapmetal is gone, you can't make a fishing tackle anymore, thus can't repair your clothes anymore, and you'll end up running around naked in the end. i don't know if birch sapling and maple saplings respawn, but if they do, metal will be the final problem to survive.
i only play the game for like a month now, so i could be mistaken, but right now it looks like the lack of scrap metal is going to get you killed in the end.

44 minutes ago, Marcurios said:

i just realized that you will die of the cold eventually, when all scrapmetal is gone, you can't make a fishing tackle anymore, thus can't repair your clothes anymore, and you'll end up running around naked in the end. i don't know if birch sapling and maple saplings respawn, but if they do, metal will be the final problem to survive.
i only play the game for like a month now, so i could be mistaken, but right now it looks like the lack of scrap metal is going to get you killed in the end.

Scrap metal is one of the items that will periodically wash up on the shores in Coastal Highway, Old Island Connector and Desolation Point.  As a result, it is actually an unlimited resource.

12 hours ago, Marcurios said:

Go to the hydro dam or Hibernia some time and check out all the things you can saw up for scrap metal. Shelves, locker doors, random things lying around. It's a lot of work but there is tons of scrap metal.

All the worries about running out of things are mostly theoretical

Guest jeffpeng

Like I mentioned earlier: the only thing that really has a potential to run out and eventually kill you is the lack of disinfectant and antibiotics.

And I'm not even a 100% sure about that, I just don't recall ever getting any of those through beachcombing. It also would require you to get bitten often enough to run out of disinfectant (and OMBL) AND all sources of antibiotics. Unless you have a raging compulsing to hug predators using up all disinfectant and OMBL would take a very long time. Since not every wound actually becomes infected using up all antibiotics would take an even longer time. I would personally consider it very unlikely that you run into so many struggles that you run out of stuff to treat your wounds with but survive them all.

Most everything else really is of (somewhat) unlimited supply. Things other than the above mentioned that you can run out of by some stretch of imagination (and time ...)
- Stims. They are the ultimate joker and once the few there are are gone they are gone. Suffering from stim addiction is unlikely, Dr. Franklin.
- Matches. While there is the mag lens running out of matches is very inconvenient and a very realistic scenario.
- Coffee (and Herbal Tea, but while Herbal Tea is more of a convenience, Coffee has a real survival use)
- Your rifles will eventually break, so will the revolver. There are no cleaning kits on the beach afaik. Your flare guns will eventually die as you cannot repair them, but at least on loper you will first run out of things to shoot with them.
- Recycled cans cannot be repaired. If you manage to ruin all of them by letting things boil too long you'll have to make due with cooking pots.
- Ear Wraps. Other clothing slots (shirts, underwear, socks) you cannot craft yourself, too, but ear wraps have a habit of being eaten by bears. Care well for them.
- Flares. While being basically just a super-torch they are pretty damn nice to have for when you really need them.
- Books. But by the time you run out of books you shouldn't need them anymore.
- Water purification tablets. Eh. Eh. Eh.
- Whetstones. Carrying around a whetstone instead of a second knife or hatchet is certainly convenient ... but nowhere near important.
- Sewing Kits. By the time you run out of these you probably have your gear done and are pretty apt in mending so the fishing tackle time penalty won't hurt as much.

As you see none of these things are neccisarily required to survive. So yeah, as @Serenityput it so adequately

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

All the worries about running out of things are mostly theoretical

But I guess it's human nature to worry about those things regardless, and I wonder how many good runs ended prematurely because one tried to get the last scrap of resources from somewhere or overrationed them.

Archived