Comments from Last update

Jonden10

When I'm thinking about crafting bows I don't have pro-level compounds in mind but rather the ones we made as a child. I think I could definitely make a bow out of string and wood that, when equipped with a sharp tip would severely wound if not kill an animal. It doesn't take that much force to penetrate flesh, much less than wood. It all comes down to how sharp the tip is.

But I don't know if I want if right now, it depends what they bring with the next update. We already have a very efficient way to kill, with one bullet we get a week to eat/sleep. Until the devs come up with an idea to break the sleep/eat cycle I honestly don't need yet another tool to give me more meat with even less costs, because arrows can be crafted and bullets not.

[EDIT]: here's a detailed instruction on how to make a bow in the wild: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Bow-and-Arrow

Forget a traditional bow & arrow, how about a craftable crossbow - required items;

* One worn out Enfield rifle (trigger & stock)

* One leaf spring from an abandoned car

* 3 scrap metal

* 5 gut

* 100% simple tools (or the equivalent thereof, i.e 2 x simple tools @ 50%)

* 100hrs crafting time

This would make it a serious commitment in terms of time & resources, the bolts probably crafted in batches of 5;

* 2 fir firewood

* 2 scrap metal

* 2 cloth for fletching

* 10hrs

Make it slow to reload and damage falloff much more than the rifle over distance, also more affected by wind.

Well I don't know if I'm great, but just pragmatic. If it must exist, let it exist but make the penalty or investment suit the reward.

To me I regard it as the natural progression (or regression) of humans subjected to prolonged shortages of both convenient food and technology; Things take a step back or 3 or 4 before they begin to progress, because the average person needs to reskill to become more than average.

Hunger and cold are a great motivator for those strong enough to persist. If there is to be a step down / back from the very capable Enfield (I've owned one many moons ago) then let it be hard fought for, and balanced on it's technical merits.

People are talking about realism but do you guys really think you can repair a rifle with some scraggy bits of old wood and some old bits of scrap metal ... I very much doubt it.

The game is very fun but realism is a distant dream. I would love it though if it did become extremely realistic apart from the time (speed that up) but the problem with that is that people tend to think "out side of the box" which a game would struggle to handle. Take for example the sharpening of a blade there are so many ways this can be achieved if the devs didn't implement it people would be calling out the game due to lack of realism. So on that note I am all for one for being able to craft SAMs :D

People are talking about realism but do you guys really think you can repair a rifle with some scraggy bits of old wood and some old bits of scrap metal ... I very much doubt it.

The game is very fun but realism is a distant dream. I would love it though if it did become extremely realistic apart from the time (speed that up) but the problem with that is that people tend to think "out side of the box" which a game would struggle to handle. Take for example the sharpening of a blade there are so many ways this can be achieved if the devs didn't implement it people would be calling out the game due to lack of realism. So on that note I am all for one for being able to craft SAMs :D

Yeah I totally get what you are saying, however it's down to "can we make a game that is fun and challenging without being retardedly difficult and only appealing to 5% of the audience".

I know that maintaining a hunting knife doesn't necessarily include rehafting it with a new handle and there are sharpening stones all over the maps, but the next person won't. It's not an induction or simulation, it's a game.

Why are people so anti bow and arrows? I don't think anyone said lets do it like H1Z1 or Rust. There needs to be life after the rifle ammo runs out! I'm all for sensible crafting time/material. Being able to reuse your arrows could be a key point. Arrow head material makes a difference so just wood would take 2-3 shots to take down a wolf and metal would be 1-2? Also, very satisfying arching an arrow at a distance into an animal... Much more skilful than a rifle.

Any more specific timeframe on the release yet than "end of this week"? :)

yes this would indeed be very helpfull, my boss prefers that I tell him I want a day or two off rather sooner than later, besides I don't want to start a new v183 game now that I know the update is just around the corner. But how much, when? Need to know :D

I vote no for bow and arrows. Being able to craft a weapon with a much more unlimited source of ammunition takes some of the challenge out of the game. Frankly, I don't expect to live TLD forever. Sooner or later I'll run out of something or mess up and die. Rinse, repeat.

On the topic of craftable bow and arrows. I think if the average person were sitting in a cabin for weeks on end with nothing but a knife and wood it would be plausible that they could make a bow and arrow. Especially this character who has already shown incredible inventiveness with guts and such turning them into awesome things. BUT. I don't know if the average person could make one incredible enough to kill wolves. I see it as more of a rabbit hunting tool. Also I forget if craft able items can fail or not, but I don't know if most average people would succeed on their first attempt. So that might be a consideration too.

I'm a mechanic, it's frustrating that I can't pull the abandoned cars apart and craft things like a wind generator from the alternators and batteries, among about a thousand other useful things. A simple crossbow was invented in Ancient China during the Zhou dynasty, around the year 700 BC. A Chinese text, from about 200 BC, gives credit to a Mr. Ch'in of Ch'u for inventing the crossbow. (thanks Google).

Not so much a stretch for modern man or woman.

Way before the Zhou dynasty, early man (cavemen) made tools with flint (knives, hatchets, spears etc). Those were very usable tools that did the job they were supposed to do and I would love to be able to make flint tools myself. But just because someone was able to do this 35000 years ago doesn't mean modern man is able to do so now.

Given enough time and enough material I would probably get the hang of it at some point, but the current crafting mechanic isn't capable of reflecting that. Either you can make it and it always succeeds or you can't.

The same is true for making a bow or crossbow that is actually capable of taking down a deer or wolf. Even though I know the principle behind these weapons, I would take me a lot of trial and error to make one.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of being able to craft these items. If I were in a survival situation where I had plenty of time on my hands I would certainly try to make a crossbow (I think it would be easier to craft a crossbow that's powerful enough, and they are easier to aim). But it would take me a lot of time and several tries before I got there. If crafting bow and or crossbows is implemented in TLD I would like it to reflect this. It should take a lot of time and several tries before you got something really good. The first try would result in a (cross)bow but not do much, the next try would perform a bit better etc.

Much as I expect the fire lighting and repair skills to become more sophisticated over time, I expect crafting may become a more fleshed out concept as new items are introduced and balanced. Perhaps you will not be able to simply craft an item because it's possible to do so, you have the materials and requisite tools, and it's just a matter of time investment. Perhaps you will need to craft simpler items until you have enough skill, or something similar.

Whatever the result, the most important thing to me is that the crafting options are interesting and balanced. Just having craftable replacements of everything you can find pre-disaster examples of seems like a needless waste of a good concept. I'd be more interested in crafting items that require drastically different approaches to make effective use of.

Whatever the result, the most important thing to me is that the crafting options are interesting and balanced. Just having craftable replacements of everything you can find pre-disaster examples of seems like a needless waste of a good concept.

I agree.

I'd be more interested in crafting items that require drastically different approaches to make effective use of.

Such as?

Hey I was just ruminating in that last post but for clarity, why exactly is the protagonist trying to survive?

You are asking BASIC questions about who we are and our role in the world. If I was plonked down in this situation I would sure as hell be doing 110% to not only survive, but lay the groundwork for progression to more skills, better outcomes.

Do you want your kids to be eating dog or deer? Or eaten by dog? Does the skill tree only go so far as trying to repair or maintain existing items?

Man reinvents himself every so often - put stuff in this thing you've created that is aspirational, not just reactive.

I'm not saying I need to end up with a bunker and a plasma cannon, just a logical pathway given the apocalyptic scenario and some interesting progression.

(...)but for clarity, why exactly is the protagonist trying to survive?

They crash-landed when their plane malfunctioned, due to the geo-magnetic storm. So the assumption would be that they don't want simply to survive (understood as - build a base/skillset for endless, life-long bunny-snaring), but their main goal is to return to civilization/get somewhere else, where survival would be easier/get through the winter till the expected help arrives.

So stuff like: finding a working vehicle, fixing a radio or getting to the main road/river/town are real goals that those two folks would really strive for. Unless they somehow have the knowledge and are 100% sure that the rest of the world/Canada is dead and gone, or that they are completely unable to leave the region, the snare- or bow-crafting shouldn't even be a priority for them.

Archived