What would happen if sunrise never came?

Ryan CM

I like this idea. Would make for a much more challenging game mode than stalker. Would be nice to have a pistol in one hand and the storm lantern in the other hand to see and fend off hungry wolves in the dark. Sounds like a open world survival style Alan Wake. Maybe make wolves 1.5X faster and aggro radius wider to add to balance.

Does this mean the new map will be all night? It was mentioned already that it'd be someting completely different :D

It has it charms to not know what's outthere until it's practically too late and you see that green eyes glow but I think it'd be a huge waste of time for the one making the map if we'd never actually see it ;)

I'd roll over and keep on sleeping :P

If the new map will be all night, the new craftable item must be something that gives off light. Torches anyone? :)

But I'd be most interested in the explanation as to how it would be possible for 1 map to be in never ending darkness while the map right next to it has a regular day-night cycle. So I highly doubt this will be the case.

I don't think Ryan's question has something to do with the new map, or with TLD for that matter. I think the question is more of a "what would you do if this happened in real life?" kinda thing. And to answer that I'd need a little more information. Is it just that the sun doesn't come up anymore (for whatever reason), or is it more (i.e. power outage)? If it's just the sun, I would just wonder what has happened to the sun and turn on the lights. I'd leave the actual figuring out what happened to people smarter than me and trust on the news to tell me what's going on.

I don't think Ryan's question has something to do with the new map, or with TLD for that matter. I think the question is more of a "what would you do if this happened in real life?" kinda thing. And to answer that I'd need a little more information. Is it just that the sun doesn't come up anymore (for whatever reason), or is it more (i.e. power outage)? If it's just the sun, I would just wonder what has happened to the sun and turn on the lights. I'd leave the actual figuring out what happened to people smarter than me and trust on the news to tell me what's going on.

yep exactly! what would you do in real life? :)

In Reallife:

1. Buy a solar-colour lamp to avoid depression.

2. Buy lots of batteries for my flashlights.

3. Mock the neighbours who spent tons of money on solar cells.

4. Find a new use for sunblock.

In TLD

1. Go to Trapper's Homestead.

2. Crawl into the bed.

3. Hide under the blanket.

4. Whimper.

If this were to happen (which I guess you know, northern areas like Alaska do have 6mo. of darkness, 6mo. of light) there would be a number of things needed to be done to the game first, so as not to be unrealistically/dumb difficulty.

#1 Player needs to be able to light anything they want on fire to create light.

#2 Player needs to be able to siphon fuel from fuel tanks to craft torches

#3 Nighttime in the game is insanely dark already. The reflected light off the moon alone, when the ground is covered in reflective white snow, lights up everything actually incredibly well at night time (in RL). Also with the fact that there is reflected light, your eyes adjust to the provided light (even when its cloudy/overcast as hell) making the dark not nearly as dark as it is in-game. (blizzards at night are a different story but they're not "all the time")

Fix those three things and it would be doable and viable.

In the current state, for the most part, you may as well just blind the player when you're outdoors at night. It wouldn't be difficult, it would be dumb. Obviously just my opinion.

With that being said, if the game went completely dark I would probably.... not play and wait for a hotfix .

If this were to happen (which I guess you know, northern areas like Alaska do have 6mo. of darkness, 6mo. of light) there would be a number of things needed to be done to the game first, so as not to be unrealistically/dumb difficulty.

#1 Player needs to be able to light anything they want on fire to create light.

#2 Player needs to be able to siphon fuel from fuel tanks to craft torches

#3 Nighttime in the game is insanely dark already. The reflected light off the moon alone, when the ground is covered in reflective white snow, lights up everything actually incredibly well at night time (in RL). Also with the fact that there is reflected light, your eyes adjust to the provided light (even when its cloudy/overcast as hell) making the dark not nearly as dark as it is in-game. (blizzards at night are a different story but they're not "all the time")

Fix those three things and it would be doable and viable.

In the current state, for the most part, you may as well just blind the player when you're outdoors at night. It wouldn't be difficult, it would be dumb. Obviously just my opinion.

With that being said, if the game went completely dark I would probably.... not play and wait for a hotfix .

I agree wholeheartedly with you. The ambient light in the wintertime is much great than in the summertime. Darkness levels in the game are exaggerated at night in the winter. Still traveling at night should be colder and involve more predators but should not be impossible without artificial light. It should just be a pain in the ass.

I feel like there are some unstated underlying questions here, honestly:

How is it that the sun doesn't rise, for instance? Does the sun's nuclear fission chain reaction which is set to continue for another few billion years suddenly get extinguished? Does the earth's rotation slow to the degree that we become tidally locked, one side of the planet always dark and the other always light (and if so, how do we bleed so much inertia from our axial rotation? The earth is an object in motion, so it'll tend to stay in motion unless acted on by an outside source...)? Is our fairly stable elliptical orbit interrupted and we are suddenly somehow slingshotted out of orbit into an eternal darkness, the sun fading to just another star behind us?

In any case, I think the answer would probably be "freeze to death rather quickly." :P

Mossy toes, you are taking it a little far. Of course the answer is that the sun implodes beyond its Schwarzschild radius and collapses into a black hole. Then all of Earth becomes spaghettified, and we end up in the little Italy of the cosmos.

I'd suggest you start revising your Italian verbs and nouns :)

I thought it was because the old manager of the sun has died and the new manager didn't know he has to use the A-33.1-K7 form instead of the A-33.2-K5 form to get the thumbs up from the head of the finance department for the payment of the energy bill. Because of this the bill was never paid and eventually the sun has been cut off until they pay their bill.

Archived