please add a deadfall trap as a way to snag mammals

Malak

Well, with a deadfall trap, you may not have to do much digging. Still, I think the bigger issue is that of game balance. Sandb ox is already a little too easy/boring once you've amassed your gear and supplies. If traps are a regular and easy thing, it will drive the game even further into being "sleep 15 hours a day, go outside briefly." Realistic? Maybe. Boring? Definitely.

Digging in the ground? A deadfall is trap made of something heavy, a log or rock, supported by a log/tree branch mechanism (depending on size) that has a touch trigger rigged to the support. When its bumped, the large object falls to the ground holding/smashing/squashing the prey. No hole required.

http://goo.gl/zGBboH

perhaps there should be an achievement: "backfired" should be for being killed by your own trap.

There should also be the occasional sapling you can cut down to make a tension trap. These could be placed along commonly trafficked paths.

These would kill large prey (and you) but would be triggered by rabbits (but the rabbit is too small for the trap to kill it.)

I haven't had any trouble with food, though I spend a lot of time out at JackRabbit Island. I would imagine if you can cut trees down for firewood, you should be able to make a deadfall trap, though TBH I don't think gut would be strong enough, even dried to hold up a log big enough to kill an Elk. They'd probably have to add rope of some kind to the game.

Sorry as thinking pit trap.

In most cases deadfalls are used for smaller game. You might get a wolf in it (very small chance), but not likely a deer.

A larger noose trap would be more likely to be effective in trapping, but not killing a deer (although it would give you options other than a gun to kill it)

The catch is the amount of resources needed...I'd think it'd be 10-12 gut to make a line strong enough to hold up to the thrashing and to be long enough.

I do wish that they would add game paths as both rabbits and deer are really only trapped along paths.

Regardless, we need something to kill larger mammals with if out of gut. At least a spear. I have deer run right next to me all the time. Especially at Trappers where they run into the funnel shape of the fencing and are like "oh sh*t"! lol

Regardless, we need something to kill larger mammals with if out of gut. At least a spear. I have deer run right next to me all the time. Especially at Trappers where they run into the funnel shape of the fencing and are like "oh sh*t"! lol

Use a wolf. Chase a deer into a wolf, and then either chase a rabbit in that direction (the wolf will stop eating the deer and chase the rabbit) or just come back later after the wolf is done and harvest your guts!

Of course I am still all for more variety of placeable traps.

Use a wolf. Chase a deer into a wolf, and then either chase a rabbit in that direction (the wolf will stop eating the deer and chase the rabbit) or just come back later after the wolf is done and harvest your guts!

Of course I am still all for more variety of placeable traps.

This is what I've been doing most of the time. It works very well as the wolf doesn't come back to the deer after eating the rabbit. Set a fire by the carcass and harvest away.

I trapped one on the lookout path once and tried to catch it. The deer ran right through me like a ghost. :lol:

• 3 months later...
Sorry as thinking pit trap.

In most cases deadfalls are used for smaller game. You might get a wolf in it (very small chance), but not likely a deer.

A larger noose trap would be more likely to be effective in trapping, but not killing a deer (although it would give you options other than a gun to kill it)

The catch is the amount of resources needed...I'd think it'd be 10-12 gut to make a line strong enough to hold up to the thrashing and to be long enough.

I do wish that they would add game paths as both rabbits and deer are really only trapped along paths.

Deadfalls can be made for larger animals, even for humans. They just need to be made larger. But may be difficult for one person to make. But not impossible.

So is "a big rock" going to become an item that we add to inventory, or is it going to be like a workbench we find outdoors (add fir and gut or line)?

Well a deadfall can be made with logs using no rocks a t all. Or a combination meaning using rocks to make a log heavier. The logs simply pin the animal. It might die of injury and exposure.

So are "big rock"s and "heavy log"s going to become inventory items that we find and move around, or are rocks and logs going to be like workbenches we find outdoors and craft into traps?

In reality in real life you wouldn't pack these, you use them from the location where you set up the trap. This is what makes a deadfall such a good survival skill to learn.

all you need is a knife, maybe chordage depending on type and maybe a nail or two depending on type.

We could also make portable "placement" traps. These are particularly cruel traps where you secure sharp items to a board and then place it so the pointy bits stick up. Animal walks over item and it is like running nails through your foot. You now have a lame animal, that will probably succumb to the elements rather quickly.

Another placement trap is the traditional bear trap. These are of various sizes to snap onto the foot of various sized game. Small game it just kill outright (like a big mouse trap) but larger game is made lame. The trap is also secured to the ground, so they can't hobble off. I think finding a few of these inside the trappers cabin would be the way to go.

Another nasty trap is a wire noose trap and we can find all the materials for it in PV. Go pull off a long section of barbed wire from the fence that runs along the road in PV near the Farmstead. Now make a noose large enough to span the gap in a choke point and keep the bottom a bit off the ground. Disguise the bottom of the wire with grass. When the animal begins to step through, it pulls the noose taut (much like the rabbit trap). The more they pull, the more it digs in... but it is wire so it does not back out easily. Again, another dead larger game animal.

None of these require balancing heavy weights or crafting elaborate mechanisms. The more mechanics we put into play, more likely the trap will fail. Keep it simple.

You are talking about leg hold traps and large snares. Snares could be made from electric cords or wire salvaged from buildings.

What's complex about pasting a deadfall trap graphic on the snow? It would be no more trouble to add to the game than the current rabbit snare.

Archived