Daytime ffshibuasvdjhb - No daytime pls!

pikkue

Hi there!

So I thought about the digital time shown in the UI almost everywhere.

What about not showing it?

I mean ofc, things that require time to do them should be labeled with the time needed just as it is right now, but the absolut daytime can be left away imo.

Consequences are f.e. you have to pay more attention to your evoirment, light, moon, more immersion, more important role of nature...

Thoughts pls!

I just always assumed that my character has a watch, maybe even one that's solar powered so you don't have to worry about the battery. I'm not sure why showing the time is a problem.

There has been a geomagnetic storm, everything electronical has been destroyed ;)

Well for starters the sun would have been to be more visible. I tried to orientate myself by the sun but it is not to be seen. So other than counting minutes from dawn till dusk I see no way to "observe" anything.

Well shadows work good normally. I assume this would be the same effect like timing armors in duelshooters:

You simply get a feeling for what time it is or how long a day lasts after a while. Trust your instincts, your mind is capable of such things!

Apart from that, I think it's really teasing to get in scary situations like that from time to time, with desperation trying to find a shack to place your bedroll (which btw. would become important all of the sudden).

Still this idea seems good to me :)

edit:

Even though I've got to admit, tuning the game a bit regarding "natural time signs" would be necessary perhaps.

I just always assumed that my character has a watch, maybe even one that's solar powered so you don't have to worry about the battery. I'm not sure why showing the time is a problem.

There has been a geomagnetic storm, everything electronical has been destroyed ;)

But an old fashioned wind up watch that is completely mechanical would work just fine. :)

But an old fashioned wind up watch that is completely mechanical would work just fine. :)

Ye but you know how things are.. pilots have glory, girls and money and thus fancy dancy electrowatches.. :D

Na ok, you may have a valid point there ;)

Ye but you know how things are.. pilots have glory, girls and money and thus fancy dancy electrowatches.. :D

It's an heirloom with lots of sentimental value. Will got it from his dad, who got it from his dad and so on :D

It's an heirloom with lots of sentimental value. Will got it from his dad, who got it from his dad and so on :D

Must be this man.. indeed a hell of a sentimental story.. :')

pulp_fiction_watch.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

maybe the watch you got from your dad got broken in the plane crash. maybe you find an other. but the sun as an indicator for time would be really nice. it would add an extra beauty to the sunrise / sunset which is already beautiful. and just imagine a moon over your beloved shed when you come home after a long day fishing on the lake.

One thing to remember, for gameplay purposes, there may be some items items or menu information added which you can't directly interact with, but are included to help convey important information or data.

For instance, with the time clock showing [rather than an actual physical watch] during tasks or events, it shows the movement of time [sped up through timeshifting] and also as a way to have a sense of time passage. Don't forget the game doesn't run in real time, so some sort of time scale is needed for our senses.

The devs could have left all time notice elements out of the game, but then as players it would end up breaking the immersion a bit too much because we wouldn't have any relatable scale while playing. Night would look like it was hitting without enough warning... if no time pass element was show for burning fires, we would have no way to gauge what we could or couldn't accomplish (fires would simply seem to be going out randomly).

It's mainly there to give us a reference point -- e.g. IRL you would get a feeling when night was approaching, but it's not as simple to convey the actual instinct/feeling within a game... So the clock at least offers a marker reference point so that we can then decide whether we want to risk the travel for a longer trip, forage or harvest meat when it's getting late, etc.

It's the same way with the temperature - no we wouldn't know the exact temperature, but the data is there to give us a monitoring sense to gauge how cold our character would likely be feeling... "freezing" can feel like freezing - but by giving us the temperature data, it at least relates a relative feeling [since we aren't actually, I hope, freezing IRL while playing]... When you see -30 degrees, your mind can immediately relate to "holy [censored] I better find shelter ASAP" whereas -10 degrees might only be "it's pretty damn cold, so I better stop more often during the day".

You cannot compare time to temperature at all.

First of all, time is always more or less indicated, by light f.e. The temperature aswell to some extend. But second, The time is something running very regularly. A day will always list an amount of hours, temperature is something very arbitrary.

Thats why one is not in need for a digital indication of time, in opposite of temperature.

And again:

Trust your insticts! Even though we've all become very unnatural, civilized.

I can only remember all the time the duelshooter example. You will get a feeling for a length of time after some playing without a clock.

I do not have a strong opinion on this matter. I have no problem with having clock on HUD, if it get's turned off on hard difficulty, fine.

Just for thought, you can make good comparison with DayZ. No HUD, and while to get some information you need to have an object (compass, thermometer), for most you'll just get a contextual message (like you get in TLD too, about hunger, cold etc).

It could be cool if the player's character started with a watch that "wears down" after a period of time and you need to find another to be able to tell time.

This approach could introduce a new design problem: how would the player deal with time to perform actions? How would the player know how long to sleep, to cook the meat or how long the fire keeps on burning?

And we could keep on spiraling about design, balance, gameplay and intuitiveness on and on and on... ;)

Archived