"Undressing" corpses

BedorCZ

Hey there,

I was watching some let's plays from this game and the guy who played it broke his pants, but he found a corpse, wich was dressed."Why can't I take his pants!?" he said... And this is my wish:

Why can't we take clothes from the corpses? Imagine, If you find a corpse and you don't have any pants, jacket, etc., you will just take that stuff. Yes, it will be strange, but choose: Your survival or morral? ;) So please, add some kind of that function, it would be cool.

Ps: Sorry for my English.

also remember that the corpse is frozen solid, and so it would be very difficult to remove clothing from a solid, curled up body.

As well as that, BedorCZ, have you tried lifting 80kg dead weight? I weigh 60kg, which is a little lighweight for a guy, but I struggle lifting 70kg, let alone 80kg.

Even if the clothes on a corpse are at 0% condition, you'd still get loads of cloth from all those corpses. It would simply make the repair mechanic superfluous as you are always able to keep your clothes repaired so why let them degrade at all... The amount of clothes and cloth you can find in the game are designed to let make choices: do I repair my premium winter coat or do I harvest the cloth for the bandages I need?

If you could take the clothes you can see of each corpse, you'd get at least shoes, pants, jacket, gloves, scarf and togue. And it would be strange if they weren't wearing sweaters, so you'd get those too. That's at least 7 cloth per corpse. I've found at least 10 corpses this game, so that would be at least 70 cloth. Why bother to manage my clothes and cloth if there's that much to find? And don't forget, there are still many more maps to come.

So like I said, the reason you can't harvest clothes from corpses is balance. But if you don't like that reason, it's not possible to remove frozen clothes from a frozen corpse.

Yes, it would be realistic if you could at least try, but what's the point in adding realism if it breaks the game? Gameplay above realism.

OK, you're right, 7 cloth per corpse is too much. Yeah, that's true... But what about an interactive menu, where you will be able to choose a part wich you want, and it will be like one try, one success/fail. For example you choose pants to take, start taking and succes, you made it and took 14% pants. Or the second variant, you fail to take them, and you cannot take clothing from that corpse anymore and it will work as normal "storage".

OK, you're right, 7 cloth per corpse is too much. Yeah, that's true... But what about an interactive menu, where you will be able to choose a part which you want, and it will be like one try, one success/fail. For example you choose pants to take, start taking and success, you made it and took 14% pants. Or the second variant, you fail to take them, and you cannot take clothing from that corpse anymore and it will work as normal "storage".

It still comes down to gameplay value vs the programming time and budget to set up all the mechanics for tracking corpses [currently considered container types] in order to simply disrobe a corpse on the screen (which doesn't serve much value unless you're playing something like Skyrim type games).

You would have to track what item is on the initial corpse, and then create a new container [new corpse view] showing the item removed. That's a lot of programming time (which means some other gameplay function or item might need to be skipped), plus you would have to track every corpse image within the game.

It can be done, but again doesn't really serve any priority gameplay value unless the devs change the whole corpse container system. As it is now, when searching a corpse, it's assumed if you found (for example) a coat or long underwear, then you've removed it from the corpse (whether visibly so or not), or perhaps from their pockets/backpacks for supplies.

It's possible the devs may change the corpse usage further on, but stripping down a corpse until it's naked wouldn't be much of a programming cost and time value as a priority.

Plus you know players would then complain "Well I can get their coat, so I should be allowed to collect everything else they're wearing too!"

For gameplay value, priorities are set, and yes some things need to be simplified or accepted as basic programming requirements [i.e. without making every single object within the game world accessible] or else you would likely never get a complete game finished.

Again though, a lot will depend on what adjustments the devs decide to make to the corpses further on in the development stage - so while potentially possible, it's most likely very low priority right now.

Archived