Harvesting Scrap Metal from underneath car hoods

Link1714

Good idea. More broadly, some buildings need to have scrap metal that can be looted. For game balance, I don't think it should be as plentiful as reclaimed wood, but it would be vastly more useful than that resource. Once you've gathered all your supplies, scrap is the one thing you're not going to be able to acquire any more of. And thinking long-term, once your matches have been used up or decayed into nothingness and you're out of bullets, you'll depend on fishing hooks, snares, and a firestriker to stay alive. Without extra scrap metal for two of those, you're on a death sentence.

I'd like to see the ability to craft a "Rough firestriker" it's not as effective as a supplied fire striker, but it lasts just as long, and requires simple tools and scrap metal to craft

Two words: Friction. Firestarter.

Though granted, it would feel a bit redundant with the millions of matchboxes I found in Highway on this last run.

Yeah thanks guys haha you guys are correct as well. maybe some kitchen appliances or kitchen items/tools could be found/harvested that you'd have no other use for. I had another post where I suggested basements (which by the look of some of the houses are coming already) But perhaps they could also add garages to other houses. Basements and garages would likely hold more scrap metals. (they should also have rapid animals in em)

If there's ever going to be some kind of electricity if even for a single lightbulb (geomagnetic disaster aside, electricity is a chemical reaction after all), I feel it should start with car batteries. Too heavy to carry around, very limited output, and full of acids and other useful chemicals.

So how about replace Forage for Wood with Forage and just have it list by area of what is available. Like if you Forage in a house you have the option to harvest a limited amount of Reclaimed Wood, Scrap Metal from appliances, cloth from furniture, success and how quickly you can forage depends on the tools at your disposal, or perhaps even offer bonus scrap metal if you use Quality Tools vs Simple Tools.

This works outside as well, if you "Forage" by the Fishing Village where all those pallets are you have the option to collect reclaimed wood, also have a choice for tools, being your bare hands, prybar, or a hatchet. If you use the Forage around the piles of fishing nets have the option to recover Fishing line(in random levels of decay)

If there's ever going to be some kind of electricity if even for a single lightbulb (geomagnetic disaster aside, electricity is a chemical reaction after all), I feel it should start with car batteries. Too heavy to carry around, very limited output, and full of acids and other useful chemicals.

I'm pretty sure they are planning something for this - you can open the hood of cars, and the battery is clearly marked with both the positive and negative terminals exposed.

So how about replace Forage for Wood with Forage and just have it list by area of what is available. Like if you Forage in a house you have the option to harvest a limited amount of Reclaimed Wood, Scrap Metal from appliances, cloth from furniture, success and how quickly you can forage depends on the tools at your disposal, or perhaps even offer bonus scrap metal if you use Quality Tools vs Simple Tools.

This works outside as well, if you "Forage" by the Fishing Village where all those pallets are you have the option to collect reclaimed wood, also have a choice for tools, being your bare hands, prybar, or a hatchet. If you use the Forage around the piles of fishing nets have the option to recover Fishing line(in random levels of decay)

You have no idea how much I absolutely love this suggestion :mrgreen:

Archived