Bring back the Limited Release 2014 original Sandbox version of the game

ThePancakeLady

I enjoyed playing this in 2016, when it was given to us for a week, to opt in and play the very first version (prototype?) of the Sandbox test-bed.

It was brutal. 1 region, ML only. Cattails were all around, but you could only look at them, no harvesting for tinder and food. The game was very bare-bones, and having only 1 experience mode, was very challenging. It was the thing that got me to step up from Pilgrim and Voyageur, and start playing Stalker when the week was up, and I had to go back to the "regular" game we had then.

I would love to see this again for the next anniversary of the game. As an opt-in, for a week, like in 2016. Or released as a DLC that we could buy and play when we felt like it. Totally optional, no special holiday needed like 4DoN, just the chance to go back in time and experience the game as it was before Sandbox/Survival Mode was even a thing.20160923180215_1.thumb.jpg.7b4b9def4728dc5071ac23ed248850c6.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

@ThePancakeLady
You know, now that you mention it... I thought I saw something on YouTube a couple years ago about being able to use a trick with Steam to be able to "roll back" to and play any previous versions of a game on their platform... (I saw this done with one particular game where the content creature rolled back to the first early access release and it was pretty neat treat).  If imagine you could find it too... but if you like, I can send you links to what I dig up. :)

59 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@ThePancakeLady
You know, now that you mention it... I thought I saw something on YouTube a couple years ago about being able to use a trick with Steam to be able to "roll back" to and play any previous versions of a game on their platform... (I saw this done with one particular game where the content creature rolled back to the first early access release and it was pretty neat treat).  If imagine you could find it too... but if you like, I can send you links to what I dig up. :)

I know of those guides, and have used the "dip into the depots" for a few games in the past. But, i would prefer with TLD to have the most current version of the game installed, on Steam and XBox One, and be able to have the original version to play when I feel utterly masochistic, lol. I would honestly prefer to see this as a DLC on all platforms, which I would happily pay for. As would my husband and kids, for their copies of the game. Same with a few close friends I have talked to about it. 

Book Of Demons just did this with their original game prototype, a stand-alone DLC, that you play without replacing the current version of the game. Quite different to what that game has become, and quite fun to play when I choose, not limited to one week/year. And that motivated me to make this Wish. I'd love to have the same with TLD.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

i would prefer with TLD to have the most current version of the game installed, on Steam and XBox One, and be able to have the original version to play when I feel utterly masochistic, lol...

Fair enough... :) 

I see what you mean, and it would be nice for an officially incorporated "Time Capsule" game mode.  It is a good suggestion.  Perhaps you should drop that in the Mail Bag!

Edited by ManicManiac

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Fair enough... :) 

I see what you mean, and it would be nice for an officially incorporated "Time Capsule" game mode.  It is a good suggestion.  You should drop that in the Mail Bag!

Nah, I can pester Raph on Twitter about it if I want, lol. Doesn't belong in The Milton Mailbag Questions, it is a Wish List thing, that belongs here. :)

Rolling back with Steam places the files in their own directory and allows you to access them directly without interfering at all with the current installation. 

Except for the save game files.  But any version through mid 2015 used a completely separate saved game location.  So no worries at all.

It's super easy to get and the old game is just as playable as the current one.  Though I have to say I enjoy it more a few versions later where they added the medkit.