Craftable kerosene/lantern oil

Josh870

OK so in real life it is possible to make a fuel a primitive kerosene/oil for storm lanterns from birch bark you pack a steel can with a lid (like a coffee can) full of birch bark  and punch a nail hole in the bottom of that can so the produced oil can drain into another can once heated in a fire.

maybe I would suggest 10 birch bark and 2 recycled cans (reusable) for 500ml as it's a game and have the appearance of the cans be within the fire stacked on top each other?

https://youtu.be/XOidkCPgP24

Not sure if links are allowed but there's the real life example.

• Upvote 3

Welcome to the forums @Josh870. Links are generally allowed, there is even an option to customize links in posts like this or to insert media (like pictures, videos etc.).

Regarding your idea, i have ambivalent feelings about this. It sounds cool because in previous builds of this game birch bark was almost completely useless but now that we have birch bark tea: What good would this kind of oil do you? It is pretty neat to have this knowledge for real survival scenarios but i don't really think it adds anything to the game. But who knows, maybe i am missing some awesome detail...

Why not, i like this. Especially with craftable tin can heater or rocket stove for indoor with no stoves (trailers).

You can prepare it in can but can will be mostrly ruined after collecting birch oil.

I see it as option for us, who dont care about fishing, because there is no fishing huts.

34 minutes ago, Moll said:

Why not, i like this. Especially with craftable tin can heater or rocket stove for indoor with no stoves (trailers).

You can prepare it in can but can will be mostrly ruined after collecting birch oil.

I see it as option for us, who dont care about fishing, because there is no fishing huts.

Your last point is kind of interesting. Let's pretend you play a game with fish spawns set to "None" or like you said you don't fish. Now you have no legitimate way of producing lantern oil. Then this concept of collecting oil from birch barks becomes much more of a thing now.

Anyways, having it ingame wouldn't hurt. Personally, I'd have more pressing requests though like an improved wildlife behavior!

Guest kristaok
56 minutes ago, Moll said:

It could work maybe, but I just don't want the Game to become too much of a Crafting Simulator.