More afflictions?

peepercreeper

Fever

cause: wearing wet cloth while not being protected from the wind

penalties: 10 percent movement speed reduction and reduces your carrying capacity by 15 precent

cure 2 antibiotic pills and 2 hours of sleep

Sleep deprevation

cause : remaining on zero energy (the eye thing) for more than 4 hours

penalties: hallucinations such as a wolf charge sound or bark, not being able to aim weapons at all but clicking would shoot them in a general direction of the players pov

cure: sleep

Over dose

cause: taking more than one emergency stim or more than 4 of a certain pill within 1 hour

penalties: 15 percent condition loss every 30 mins (does not happen while resting)

cure: 12 hour sleep time

good ideas, really

the deprivation could be use for all three : sleep, thirst, hunger - that would balance the starving glitches

For the "fun", we can also imagine something like
Rabies :
cause : random, chance increases with each struggle with wolves and bears if untreated in the next hour

penalties : fever, headache, hydrophobia, insomnia, confusion, agitation
cure : none, 98% chance of death (people will love that :D)

Guest kristaok

I don't think the Fever would fit, if anything wearing wet clothes would cause a Cold or Pneumonia - of course I don't know how well those Afflictions could be implemented.

The idea for Hallucinating due to Sleep Deprivation is pretty realistic, but I don't know if it would work ultimately in the Game - to be quite honest it reminds me too much of that weird Game "Don't Starve". 

As for Overdose I agree it is weird that you can keep popping pills and have no consequences for that, but then again I don't know how an Overdose could be implemented. 

10 hours ago, LkP said:

For the "fun", we can also imagine something like
Rabies :
cause : random, chance increases with each struggle with wolves and bears if untreated in the next hour

penalties : fever, headache, hydrophobia, insomnia, confusion, agitation
 cure : none, 98% chance of death (people will love that :D)

Would be quite realistic since all predatory animals kind of behave as if they were rabid :P

Guest kristaok

Rabies is pretty rare though, also the Wildlife in TLD is rabid due to the Aurora and lack of Food etc. 

I think the afflictions we have are fine and I trust they will add ones they think would fit/balance well in the future... I appreciate the idea, but a couple of those are really wicked :) 

Though if you do want to make life more challenging for yourself on Great Bear Island, you can always keep a hand full of ruined raw gut in your inventory at all times.  Life will be more exciting, I promise :D

I really like all four affliction ideas (including rabies), they may not be very balanced, but they're just suggestions so Hinterland could balance the way they see fit...
Fever is my favourite idea out of these, since it makes total sense. You're going for a swim in a VERY cold place, if it were real life you'd catch a hell of a fever. I also think 2 hours is a very small time to recover, maybe increase that.
And about rabies, it looks too OP and hard to balance if it's by pure chance... Maybe it's a good idea to have a visual indication that the animal we're facing could transmit rabies (foam in the mouth of a wolf or bear, for example). It also makes it more realistic since it's a small chance that an animal will be infected instead of a small chance of you being infected every time you struggle.

45 minutes ago, tommykneip said:

And about rabies, it looks too OP and hard to balance if it's by pure chance...

That's the "fun" 🤣

it's a small chance that an animal will be infected instead of a small chance of you being infected every time you struggle

and that's statistically the same, no ?

Thanks for giving some thoughts on my silly half-joke idea (I know they will never introduce a untreatable disease). If someone really loves it, you can make a new thread about it. Sorry to have hijacked this one... wasn't meant to.

I'd like to emphasize my support to the OP deprivations' penalties system.

I think it's a fine suggestion, I would never criticize anyone for sharing an idea they thought would make the game experience better (though of course that is highly subjective).  I was only saying that some penalties (one in particular) was just really wicked and would likely need to be reconsidered were it to be implemented:

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:05 AM, peepercreeper said:

15 percent condition loss every 30 mins

To put this in perspective... 30 minutes in game-time is only 2m 30s in real-time... so losing 15% condition every 2 1/2 minutes means you pretty much dead in ~15 minutes (well 16m 39s specifically).  In contrast it takes 1h 40m to freeze to death (real-time).

3 hours ago, LkP said:

and that's statistically the same, no ?

I think it's different, if you see a wolf with foam in its mouth you can avoid it entirely, or try to kill it to remove the risk, but if there's no indication and it's pure chance, then any wolf struggle can end up with your death.

And though you gave the idea as a joke, I think it's a really cool idea, if not made to be too OP. I like the idea that it's untreatable, just like real rabbies, and they actually have already added an untreatable disease, frostbite. It won't kill you, but it will cripple you for the rest of your run, and I'd like to see more afflictions like that.

Archived