Oh no I just died

melcantspell

This is the very first time the perma death really hurts, and I need some encouragement now ... sorry in advance for the rant!

So I spawned in Pleasant Valley. After a few futile attempts this is my 2nd kinda decent try at Interloper. I barely make it out of Pleasant Valley, but I do make it. I am constantly starving, I am cold, but I manage my needs like a soldier and I make it to Winding River and then to Mystery Lake. There, I try to restore my health, which is not an easy task at all, since I am still constantly starving. I explore the whole map, and I catch lots of rabbits, but I am always hungry. There's no bear at trapper's but I find a heavy hammer. In Camp Office I find the magnifying lens. After a few days of eating cattails and sleeping as much as I can, I decide I have to take the trip to Forlorn Muskeg to get to the forge. I get surprised by a blizzard, but I find a hacksaw somewhere amidst all that thin ice. Again, I barely make it, but I do make it. I arrive at the forge with the last two 3% health remaining and spend 3 whole days to recover. I forge 15 arrowheads and a knife. 

Now a new chapter starts. I will soon have a legit weapon, and I will be able to start hunting. I head back to Mystery Lake and cut Maple and Birch on my way. While the saplings dry, I am starving again. I make a few snares and barely get by. When I craft my bow things will change. No, unfortunately they don't. I kill a wolf in front of Trapper's, but I can't find a bear. I will need a few bear pelts to make a decent bedroll. So after a few days of unsuccessful hunting, I head north. 

I find a bedroll and there's lots of deer in the Ravine. I reckon there must also be lots of cattails down there at the bottom, so I climb down. I find the flare gun, which is nice, but is has gotten very windy, and I'm freezing. My health is depleting fast. I collect a few cattails (there are not as many as I hoped for) and try to find some sticks. I'm too exhausted to get back up again on the same day, so I try my best not to freeze in the cave. I never sleep more than 1 or 2 hours, since firewood is very limited and I can't have the fire burning all night. I'm exhausted and cold. I eat a few cattails. It wasn't a good idea to climb down here. 

But again, I make it. I climb back up again, shoot a deer and try to recover a bit. But it's freezing outside and there's not enough firewood to spend more than a single night resting in a cave. 

What should I do? Accept that I was defeated and try to save my life, going back to Mystery Lake? No, I remember there's a caravan near the entrance of Coastal Highway, and I MIGHT be able to make it. And I do get there, with a few percents of my health remaining. It's nice to be able to warm up in that caravan, but I have no food. As soon as the day begins, I wake up with renewed energy (though not more than 40% of my health) and I decide to follow the river, hoping there's lots of cattails. 

And there are LOTS. I collect cattails like a madman, all the way down the river, not minding the icy wind. I can warm up in one of the huts near the coastline, I think. Then I hear the bear, it's very close. I have a bow, but nowhere to hide. I have no clue where that bear is, but it sounds close. So I go back up the river and try to find a different route. 

I have 50 cattails for dinner, but I'm freezing. So I beeline for the nearest cabin. I can see the bear now, and it sprints towards me. But I make it. 

I have a luxurious dinner for the first time in weeks. Since I have lots of cattails and my health is in serious danger, I decide to spend another night at the cabin. My health is growing back and I enjoy staring at those protective walls. I will continue my adventure the next day, when I am more than 50% restored. The next day, a blizzard hits. I understand it is not likely to meet bears or wolves this time, so I head out and make it to Rabbits' Island, where I restore some more. Then I camp at Misanthrope's. Maybe it's the name, but I seriously love this place. I eat cattails, collect sticks and sleep lots to restore my energy. Maybe I'll head for Desolation Point in a few days. Then I leave the cabin and the bear is right outside the door. I aim and I don't miss. Great, a little more than 3 weeks and I have my first bear pelt. 

Cattails and matches are depleting fast though, so I decide to explore Coastal Highway some more. I loot the Quonset, and shoot my 2nd bear only 3 days after the first one. I feel invincible. I'm encumbered, but I carry that bear pelt to Misanthrope's to cure. Then I shoot a deer because I have run out of cattails. I'm living quite well now, and if it wasn't for the cold, I could spend all day long exploring. I catch some rabbits too, and shoot some wolves, so I will have lots of hides when I get back from Desolation Point. Also, I'm fishing to fight cabin fever. If only I had Netflix, I could spend months here on Misanthrope's. But I don't and I that's why I think it's time to move on. 

I make it to Crumbling Highway, and warm up in a cave. I have to be at the Stone Church by the evening. I will make it! 

I get to the Stone Church, overencumbered with 21 coal, and a nice new book to read. I make a fire, since night falls. I grabbed a rabbit on the way, so I will have a nice dinner. It's getting darker and I am extremely happy with this modest shelter. Then I hear sounds of fighing. A wolf caught a rabbit outside. I have no food left, and that one rabbit won't get me far if a blizzard hits tommorrow. I am wondering if I should try to steal that rabbit, and cure a nice new wolf pelt at the same time. 

Since decisions weigh heavy, I pause the game to think about it. Feed the kitties, grab a beer. I decide to not do it. I should rather collect some more sticks and I also saw a maple sapling not far. Maybe I should go grab that one. When I get back to the game, I have completely forgotten about the wolf, so I run right into it, with 50% health remaining. I am so surprised that I don't grab my heavy hammer but the knife instead. I totally unnecessarily but quickly bleed to death on day 36. I look at the screen for minutes in disbelief. So this is how you die in Interloper.

This time it really hurts. 

You've had a true Interloper! There's nothing to be sad about, any interloper in which you end up sticking arrows in stuff is a success. This is very rare to die to something else, but yes the church is dangerous (the Milton one too), since there are wolves patrols just under the hill, chased deers, chased rabbits...

Mourning is part of the process. Soon you'll fire the game again, for revenge. I still remember the death of my lovely Bareskin 7, my last successful interloper. Everythime I pass by this fishing hut, I light a fire. For you it'll be this church!

Archived