why those illogical mechanisms?

vargata

I also find the number of animals you eat to be hilariously high. Eating half a dozen or more rabbits in a single day is crazy. I am looking forward to when modding becomes a better thing so we can change things to be closer to what we like......or perhaps the devs could add a % slider to animal rates and food amounts. /shrug

On 2/27/2019 at 4:01 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

You'll have to explain to me why you find the last two images "immersion breaking."  For the first... Are mirages in a desert "immersion breaking."  I have seen sunrises and sunsets that are very intense and almost make the horizon look like it's on fire.  I've also seen many, many very bright sunny days that were bitterly cold.  Also, this game has an art style to it that is not realism... more based on Canada's "Group of Seven" artists like Emily Carr and Tom Thomson.

Sorry for that. Innitially I was going to upload the first 2 images as dissapointing... but browsing my screenshot folder I came across too many good memories. The Quonset garage long runs, the spectacular dusks and amazing exterior sights... in fact, I have the Dusk on CH as desktop wallpaper (for almost 2 years now :x)

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2019 at 5:15 PM, NardoLoopa said:

I'm probably alone in this, but I would fine the ability to jump "immersion breaking" (a term thrown about as if it were some sort of cardinal sin).  Jump, with 40kg on your back?  While wearing 2 pair of work-pants on top of 2 pair of wool thermals?  Right.  "Straddle" I could see.  Jump?  No.  Actually, I'd find typical FPS jump animation to be pretty silly in TLD

Now remember: "Please don't say AGAIN that you are tired, cold, encumbered... Please, don't. You can't even step up 10cm slopes while naked and well-feed. It's a technical limitation."

I agree with you. Will you agree with me? It's not a conflict. I'm not saying that bunnyhopping across PV would be fun, I'm saying that jump is not implemented because of technical challenges. I'm sure there would be great ways to implement jump/straddle/parkour/whatever having in mind health, stamina, load, terrain, etc.

10 hours ago, Wolfbait said:

. . . It's a technical limitation."

Oh, I completely agree with you.  The thread refers to "illogical mechanisms".  So, I was addressing it from the "in-world" terms the thread seems to establish.

From a technical point of view, eliminating jumping just makes for easier map-making.  In fact, it's probably not even a "limitation"; the default jump code of the engine is probably commented out on purpose.

Seems we also agree that letting your avatar go "boing boing boing" across the map isn't aesthetically desirable either.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • Admin locked this topic