Error in displaying the air temperature?

UpUpAway95

I've been really enjoying playing this game since getting it at Christmas.  However, I have noticed a bit of a bug in survival.  The status screen is currently showing the air temeperature as 40 degrees C with 0 degrees C wind chill and it feels like 61 degrees C.  At those temperatures, I'm already dead of heat exhaustion.  Just putting negative signs in front doesn't work either since a -40 degree C air temp with no wind chill should still feel like -40 degrees C, shouldn't it?  I'm currently playing on the Xbox One in Pilgrim Survival mode.

18 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The status screen is currently showing the air temeperature as 40 degrees C with 0 degrees C wind chill and it feels like 61 degrees C. 

Seems to me you somewhere with no wind and a fire going.  The clothing bonus adds to the air temperature and results in the 61 degrees Celsius.

You could for sense of immersion take off clothing or step away from the fire.  As for heat exhaustion I see no signs of it being implemented.  Maybe in upcoming builds.

1 minute ago, Ice Hole said:

Seems to me you somewhere with no wind and a fire going.  The clothing bonus adds to the air temperature and results in the 61 degrees Celsius.

You could for sense of immersion take off clothing or step away from the fire.  As for heat exhaustion I see no signs of it being implemented.  Maybe in upcoming builds.

I am sheltered from the wind and I do have a fire, but it's a fairly open space between two rocks and I'm not standing in the fire itself.  There is no way that it's plus 40 degrees C where I am .  That's a significantly hot summer day (104 degrees F).  61 degrees C is roughly 142 degees F.

9 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

Did you use any coal?

I used 1 piece of coal and the few pieces of fir and cedar I had with me  when I built the fire 6 hours ago.  I then laid down my bedroll and slept.  I'm now standing looking at the fire with my bedroll in between.  The fire is now showing as "embers" and the air temp is still 40, feels like 61.  I should add that dawn has just broken and I'm just below Marsh Ridge (Forlorn Muskeg).

22 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I used 1 piece of coal

That explains why the fire is so hot.  The coal is very useful when needing to overcome blizzard chills or elsewhere to create ferric melting temperatures.  

The fire mechanics are straightforward and do break immersion at times.  But for the most part it works.  Maybe improvements can still be made I do not really know the inner workings.

Addendum:  Second night in same spot (blizzard).  No coal, but a 6-hour fire built up with fir and cedar.  Air Temperature shows as 30, feels like 53 with fire burning at its hottest.  Honestly, this "cave" I'm in is not a little sauna.  Roof (which has a rift running down the center) must be 15 feet tall and distance between the rocks forming this "cave" must be 15 or so feet at the base.  When died down to embers, air temperature rapidly fell to -23.

Where you put the fire doesn't affect the "Feels Like" temperature it gives off - except for as to whether it's in a wind-sheltered spot or not. But how cold it would be without the fire does affect the burn time (colder potential = longer burning fire).

Fires don't gain or lose temperature throughout their burn life, unless you either add fuel (increases it), or take torches (decreases it very slightly). Different types of fuels add different amounts of temperature and burning time. The Fire mechanics are very simplified and abstracted in most aspects, so it does sometimes feel a little unrealistic, as @Ice Hole says.

I kind of hope they'll revisit this part of the game at some point to make fires a little more dynamic and intuitive.

6 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Where you put the fire doesn't affect the "Feels Like" temperature it gives off - except for as to whether it's in a wind-sheltered spot or not. But how cold it would be without the fire does affect the burn time (colder potential = longer burning fire).

Fires don't gain or lose temperature throughout their burn life, unless you either add fuel (increases it), or take torches (decreases it very slightly). Different types of fuels add different amounts of temperature and burning time. The Fire mechanics are very simplified and abstracted in most aspects, so it does sometimes feel a little unrealistic, as @Ice Hole says.

I kind of hope they'll revisit this part of the game at some point to make fires a little more dynamic and intuitive.

They could perhaps at least change the coal mechanic to burn longer, but not as hot if added to an open fire and not in an actual forge or burning barrel.  My third day in this blizzard, I decided I had to move and ran out of body heat just before reaching the tracks.  I found a spot sheltered from the wind behind a rock and built a fire with the only fuel I had left (sticks).  Even that much out in the open, it raised the air temperature to 23 degrees C (a nice spring day here).

Archived