Modify Cooking Interface

UTC-10

I have done some cooking now and find a part of the UI clunky.

I am looking at my campfire. I am going to put meat directly on the cooking surface (say I have a pot and cans but choose to not use the pot for some reason). I click on cook and a horizontal bar containing the cans and cookable items in my inventory are presented. To get to the raw meat I want to cook, I have to click/scroll past the cans, past the tea, etc., until I get to the raw meat. 

Maybe put the pots and cans on the left side of the horizontal bar and the items that can be cooked or heated on the right side. Save me the trouble of, every time, having to scroll past the cans and (as applicable) pot that I am not using to get to what I want to cook. If I want to put down a pot or cans, then I can scroll to the left. 

Maybe there is a faster way to do it already and I just don't know it but it would be helpful (to me). 

There surely is a faster way :)

Much easier is to use the feature for decoys. You can hit the number 3 to drop the meat to the ground, then right click it to move it onto the campfire. Just like with other items, the meat will then stick to the campfire. Since it becomes an item, you can also left click it first to check if its the meat you want to cook.

I agree that the HUD is not the best in the world. Especially if you have a lot of things that can be cooked, scrolling down can be quite annoying.

Also, it sometimes makes perfect sense not to use the pot - since using it speeds cooking up, and you may actually prefer slower cooking for once (for example because you will be looting around, or sleeping, and longer cooking period means you wont burn it).

I just use space bar> click food>place for cooking meat without a pot. I rarely carry a ton of food around but when I do there is an option to add things to the radial menu if they aren't showing up on their own. I'm not sure how that works on console because I'm on PC.

13 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

There surely is a faster way :)

Much easier is to use the feature for decoys. You can hit the number 3 to drop the meat to the ground, then right click it to move it onto the campfire. Just like with other items, the meat will then stick to the campfire. Since it becomes an item, you can also left click it first to check if its the meat you want to cook.

I agree that the HUD is not the best in the world. Especially if you have a lot of things that can be cooked, scrolling down can be quite annoying.

Also, it sometimes makes perfect sense not to use the pot - since using it speeds cooking up, and you may actually prefer slower cooking for once (for example because you will be looting around, or sleeping, and longer cooking period means you wont burn it).

Unless you're carrying gut.  Not sure how the game prioritizes which type of decoy to drop...

Archived