Herbal Bag

U47

Anyone that has ever had to pick up 50 or more Rose Hips knows that 50 clicks doesn't bring anything to the game.

So the Herbal Bag.

1 cloth to make. Drop on ground, click to open to place herbs in it.  Dumps herbs into backpack when the bag is picked up.

I am sure the game engine can not support a container, with something in it, within a container but what about a container that empties into the inventory when picked up?  Having restrictions on what can be placed within a container is also a concern.

• 1 month later...

So up to 20 days in HRV living the good life in caves but life would be a lot better if I had something to put all the rosehips, mushrooms and old man's beard in instead of just dropping them on the ground knowing I will have hundreds of clicks ahead of me to pick everything up.

This idea is possible be cause the rifle is a container that hold shells.

Anyways a bump to the thread.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Isn't that what crafting them into "prepared rose hips" essentially does... dries them and puts them in a herbal bag for making tea later?  It also condenses the clicks 24 to 1.

Time management. I gather then craft when there is a blizzard or when cooking, so they can lay on the floor for a few days.  Even crafted herbs are stacking up in my cave when you consider rose hips, mushrooms and old man's beard all together. HRV has a lot of this stuff to collect.

I think your time would be bettered managed if you just quickly craft them before dropping them on the floor... since you're essentially complaining about the time it takes for you to pick them up individually.  I'd be more inclined to ask them to re-balance things by shortening the time to craft the prepared items from the current 15 minutes to 5.

Like I said even the crafted stuff is a lot. 47 items already.

5c52fa3da92c4_screen_(2611061538)_8300cc90-4bd1-4223-bd0f-11c14eed944a.thumb.png.ab3d6862677963c5083fa0522deea862.png

This is just what I have gotten from the northwest area of HRV. I still have the Monolith Lake area to do.

So some kind of way to manage a players stuff when in a place where no storage is available, would be a great quality of life improvement.

If they shorten

23 minutes ago, U47 said:

Like I said even the crafted stuff is a lot. 47 items already.

5c52fa3da92c4_screen_(2611061538)_8300cc90-4bd1-4223-bd0f-11c14eed944a.thumb.png.ab3d6862677963c5083fa0522deea862.png

This is just what I have gotten from the northwest area of HRV. I still have the Monolith Lake area to do.

So some kind of way to manage a players stuff when in a place where no storage is available, would be a great quality of life improvement.

If they shortenedd the time that it takes to prepare them though, you could just do it more frequently and without carrying it all back to your main base every time you want to add to your piles.  Collect 3 rose hip bushes, find a quick sheltered spot (cave, indentation in the rocks, big tree or hollowed out tree) and craft 1 prepared rose hips.  If it would only take 5 minutes, you'd hardly notice it.  It would immediately lessen your weight load and you could stay away from your base longer and collect more before having to head "home" to actually make teas by the fire.

The best way to manage resources in this game I've found is to only take out of the environment what you need.  That way, if you're ever stuck again in that area and in immediate need without having them in your inventory, you'll probably still find more of them close by around you because you didn't pick them all the first time through.  They also seem to serve as readily visible markers that caves and other forms of shelter are nearby.  When I'm caught in a blizzard in an area I don't know well, I actually look for beards, reishis or rose hips and I usually find a cave or other shelter close to them.  If you charcoal the area, they will also appear on your map and can help with navigation later (but not if you pick them all and hoard them in a box someplace).

I am clearing HRV out and never coming back. So leaving stuff is not an option. The SS is just my home away from home. I am happy that a corpse spawned in my main cave so I could store items in him but is that any way to respect the dead?¬¬

Perhaps a player-crafted cedar chest.  Craftable anywhere (no workbench needed), but requiring that the player have a heavy hammer in their inventory and consuming 6 cedar wood (one for each side of the box).  It would take, say, 2 hours to craft.  Once placed by the player, it becomes an immovable object in the world (like a campfire) but can be utilized like a regular container.  It could have a fairly generous weight limit, say, equal to a locker.

55 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Ah, scorched earth policy... gotcha, but my environmentalist teeth are clenched.

If the resource would renew because I left some of it there then yes but it does not so no I do not consider it scorched earth policy.

32 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Perhaps a player-crafted cedar chest.  Craftable anywhere (no workbench needed), but requiring that the player have a heavy hammer in their inventory and consuming 6 cedar wood (one for each side of the box).  It would take, say, 2 hours to craft.  Once placed by the player, it becomes an immovable object in the world (like a campfire) but can be utilized like a regular container.  It could have a fairly generous weight limit, say, equal to a locker.

I do not think making a chest is part of the idea for the game because it is sort of like settling down, granted it gives no bonus other than making organization easier.

4 hours ago, U47 said:

If the resource would renew because I left some of it there then yes but it does not so no I do not consider it scorched earth policy.

I do not think making a chest is part of the idea for the game because it is sort of like settling down, granted it gives no bonus other than making organization easier.

I agree that it breaks the total nomadic feeling of the game; but a special bag for just basically for rose hips, mushrooms, and beards doesn't really address much of an issue that can't be addressed by making it less time consuming to just craft them as you pick them up.  To me, any additional container that you cart around with you either has the effect of expanding your carrying capacity or itself become an item adding to the weight you carry.  I don't  want to see our carrying capacity expanded any further (+5 for the moose satchel and +5 for being well fed is enough).  If it adds a container weight to our load, then I probably won't use it and just continue to only grab what herbs I intend to use right away and process them as soon as I have enough for 1 tea to make them lighter.

Archived