cooking cans near the fire

theHellraiser

so I was camping in a cave in TBW and wantedto drop some canned food to make some space and for some reason it was forcing me to open them.Then I realized I can  open the cans that way and simply leave them by a lit fire and warm them up without the need to use the 2 slots provided so I could basically warm as many as I could get around the fire.Is this a feature or did I find some sort of bug? if this is a feature Hinterland I love you even if your bears hate my guts

Update: after cooking those cans near the fire and not the designated 2 slots I've put them away manually away from the fire.3 days have passed and they are still considered hot. decided to try one to see if it is simply an error but gave me warming up benefit normally.this now seems more like a bug tbh

Not a bug, I am pretty sure that is by design (but with Hinterland, one does never know for sure). You cant cook things that way, but you can heat em up. So, if you make a small fire to quickly warm up for 25 minutes, it is best to put two cans on the fire and use them to cook tea or coffee from the bags, and at the same time heat up canned food for a snack, or an already finished cold cup of tea.

If you heat up a can by putting it on the campfire stove, it takes a shorter time, but not by much. It's like 15 minutes. Putting it by the fire, it will take something around 22 minutes. It is hardly a difference, but if you want to quickly heat up, it makes all the difference in the world. 

I am trying to recreate it as evidence of the bug report but I cant really do it. strangely enough the only time it happened was right there and then.the only way I can understand it is that after they did that I decided to put them next to a 10hour fire when I went to sleep to see if they will burn like when cooked on the slots and they did not.After that I procceded and put them far far away from the fire to more accurately see when they get cold and it took them roughly 3 days as mentioned.I tried it will shorter fires and different cans elsewhere but they would get cold within a few mins/hours as they normally should.If I happen upon more cans I will try to leaving them next to an at least 10hour fire and see if it is possible again

I have a question - when you noticed these opened cans were still considered "hot" in your inventory 3 days later, were you standing by a campfire or stove at the time, for a long while? Because if so, this may have not been a bug after all.

I never tested this because I never really keep opened cans around in my inventory, but it is possible it may have heated up in your inventory because you stood next to an active fire for some time. 
This "heat up food area" around fires seem to work the same way as an area, that determines if your clothes are drying up. That happens whether you place the clothes around the campfire on the ground, or leave them on and just stay close to the campfire... It is possible the food in your inventory works the same, and heats up, whether you place it on the ground or not.

Just not that I would ever notice my medical teas to warm up while standing around a campfire, but it is possible and it makes some sense game-wise.

I was not carrying them in my inventory.right clicked them straight from the ground to a different spot in a cave,not once did they touch my inventory after opened and heated which is why is seemed straight,not once did I leave the cave in those 3 days since I had the wood food and water to survive a bit more and get rid of my broken ribs. your scenario would totally make sense if I even did pick them in my bag.unfortunately I still havent found any more canned food to test it out, thinking of starting a pilgrim on milton which probably have lots of them and hopefully find a hatchet and test this out in graymother's crib since my own save the only 2 areas I havent scavenged so far is Desolation point and HRV.I doubt HRV will have any canned goods considering its place,if I manage to find a food preper cache in PV it might be possible

If you simply moved them away from the fire and never actually picked them up, and they stayed hot for days, I am 100% sure it was a bug. It is possible that the "hot" or "cold" status of beverages is linked to the player, and not the item itself or the game-time. Interesting bug.

On 30. 11. 2018 at 10:16 PM, theHellraiser said:

the one thing I did notice tho is that if the item is close enough to the fire to be constantly heated the HOT is written in Ciel colored letters while if it is simply hot and not the ground the letters are white. I am fairly certain that those cans had white letters

A bug, then. Beverages on the ground will always have colored sub-text describing the current state of it.

Archived