More Content

WolfWhacker

Hunting:

• 2 more rifle models, a random rifle model is chosen when a rifle spawns, so not every rifle is a Lee Enfield
  • Shotgun and birdshot with the ability to craft birdshot into a cut shell.
  • Lynxes and Geese
  • Wildlife interaction. Wolves will travel in packs to hunt areas saturated with deer and rabbits which will also move. Wolves will vary in size according to how much meat can be harvested from them and so will Deer. Wolves would prioritize hunting smaller weaker deer and would all gather to eat the same one. Wolves can gang up on bears or moose if they have enough numbers. Wildlife would have randomly spawned dens around where they spawn that they would return to during blizzards.

New Skills:

Blacksmithing - At higher levels of blacksmithing tools you craft have a better appearance and more durability. The improvised hatchet will gradually look more like a handmade forged hatchet with a seated wood handle. 

Change Mending to Sewing - Highest mending level makes crafted clothing warmer. Not as good as scavenged clothing but closer.

New Items: 

• Stave - Staves can be used to craft the longbow, to craft tinder, to burn as fuel, or to craft higher Blacksmithing skill Improvised Hatchets. Would be looted at the PV barn or the Forlorn Muskeg Forge, could also be found at trappers cabin or the unnamed pond hunting blind, just to name some locations. They have to cure when found if they are not found inside for 30 days.
  • Drift - This tool is used with the heavy hammer at the forge to make the axe head. Drifts are used to make the eye where the handle is seated.
  • Longbow - At the expense of causing fatigue when drawn it has more arrow speed and damage and more durability but is heavier. Can be crafted at level 4 Archery
  • Forged Head - Used to make higher level improvised hatchets.
  • Straightened Arrow Shaft - Arrows with these shafts which are crafted by soaking and then straightening out over a fire make more durable arrows. 
  • Axe - Can be scavenged and used to harvest very small trees, and the limbs of large trees if reachable. Same applies to fallen trees.
  • Crampons - Increases risk of sprains, can be put onto your shoes or boots to allow you to walk up steeper inclines. Climbing takes less stamina.

Durability:

• Whetstones can be saturated with water when used to make them lose durability much slower and to sharpen the blade more. In addition there could be a foot pedal powered grinding wheel at the Forlorn Muskeg forge. You'd fill the bucket below the wheel with water and you'd have some time to use it before the water freezes. It would only sharpen tools to 75% because it is a coarse stone and it would drain calories. 
  • The durability use over time and not per tool activation should apply to everything. Hatchets lose 2% harvesting branches and 2% harvesting large fir limbs and stacks of pallets that provide 16 reclaimed wood. Branches should also take much less time to break down, they just aren't worth breaking at all.

Better Scenery: 

• Me personally I am very happy with the amount of regions. I think they should be prettied up within the game's art style. It seems like every tree in the game is a centenarian; a super old growth fir. There should be a variation in the size of the trees. Trees should blow down during snowstorms and their limbs and the small trees should be harvestable. I think wolves should have less black coats that are ever so slightly more brown and rocks could have more rocky textures. (Sometimes I can't tell if that rock is a wolf I shot or a bear lol) More cubic and squared off on the edges rock assets could be added to make more compelling looking cliffs.

Building/Terrain altering:

• Use wood, sticks, and animal hides to build windblocks to make an outdoor campfire location. Maybe block that window in the Mountaineers' Hut. Use the hide to wrap meat up and bury it under snow to add more to storing meat outside to keep it from spoiling. 
  • Shovel snow with car hubcaps or found shovels. Knock those berms around The Quonset down. Have snow build up on the ground when it snows and you are not outside. Auroras could make the air temperature warmer so it will melt back to default. 

• 2 weeks later...

okay... well.... every *clap* thing *clap* here *clap* has *clap* already *clap* been *clap* suggested. everything in the "hunting" area, at least

On 11/13/2018 at 8:21 PM, WolfWhacker said:
  • Stave - Staves can be used to craft the longbow, to craft tinder, to burn as fuel, or to craft higher Blacksmithing skill Improvised Hatchets. Would be looted at the PV barn or the Forlorn Muskeg Forge, could also be found at trappers cabin or the unnamed pond hunting blind, just to name some locations. They have to cure when found if they are not found inside for 30 days.
  • Drift - This tool is used with the heavy hammer at the forge to make the axe head. Drifts are used to make the eye where the handle is seated.
  • Longbow - At the expense of causing fatigue when drawn it has more arrow speed and damage and more durability but is heavier. Can be crafted at level 4 Archery
  • Forged Head - Used to make higher level improvised hatchets.
  • Straightened Arrow Shaft - Arrows with these shafts which are crafted by soaking and then straightening out over a fire make more durable arrows. 

except for this part. very interesting.

9 hours ago, gnomegnine said:

okay... well.... every *clap* thing *clap* here *clap* has *clap* already *clap* been *clap* suggested. everything in the "hunting" area, at least

Hey, be nice. Who cares if it was suggested before? Note that an idea does not have to be unique to be good, and if you take a look back, it is almost exclusively always the ideas that were mentioned hundreds of times that eventually make it into the game. For obvious reasons - Hinterland wants to add the content that the community wants the most - and that is the content that is being suggested repeatedly. So please be nice :) (trust me, you do not want to act this way. I used to act this way, it led me down an arrogant path and eventually ended with me, getting banned, because I completely abandoned my manners and became toxic and abusive to others. All ideas have a merit here, even if we may disagree with them, or they were suggested before - as long as they are being presented seriously.)

I will go over my opinion on these:

On 14. 11. 2018 at 2:21 AM, WolfWhacker said:

2 more rifle models, a random rifle model is chosen when a rifle spawns, so not every rifle is a Lee Enfield

This I actually like quite a bit. Wasnt one of the rifles found in the Wintermute a unique model (on the ground, at least)? - I believe so, but I am not sure about that anymore. It looked the same in the hands, though - and I think that is fine because the animation of the gun would probably be much trickier to make for another model. But I think this would generally make the game a bit more immersive - if there were multiple item models for some things. As long as the properties and caliber of the rifle were the same, I have no issue with this (in my opinion, the rifle can even stay the same type, as long as it has a bit different look).

On 14. 11. 2018 at 2:21 AM, WolfWhacker said:

Shotgun and birdshot with the ability to craft birdshot into a cut shell.

I would stick with just a shotgun for the time being. No ammo types, and no crafting with ammo. The game has nothing of that and shouldn't really have if you ask me. The character has no experience with firearms. Messing with the ammunition would most likely end in an injury. I would not mind having a shotgun as a means of self-defense against a bear, honestly. I see a single barrel or a sawed-off double barrel with slugs as a general ammo to be found. Horribly bad accuracy at long range, but decent at short range, big HP hit, very slow bleeding chance against smaller animal but no bleeding chance against a bear, and a loud boom which stops the bear or moose charge, and scares them away like a rifle would with a wolf.

Blacksmithing - I get this, but I don't think it is necessary. The idea behind forging is that it is primitive. You would need a lot more to work with to make better tools than just a furnace. You would need tools, maybe even casts, an oil barrel to temper your finished item in, and so on. I think forging is fine as is - the purpose of this skill might be that the forged items take less time to be forged, that forging is not as caloric consuming and that the tools you use to take less damage (hacksaw, heavy hammer, toolbox) when used.

Sewing instead of mending - problem with that is that people would want craftable cloth and more "sewn" craftable clothing and so far, none of that is in the game. I had some ideas on this front in a different topic not that long ago.

New items:
I see no point in staves. Does not bring anything new to the game - and longbow is just really a different kind of a bow that is not renewable. New weapons take a LOT of work to balance out - this would not be worth its use compared to the development it would take, in my opinion. Saplings are meant to be the staves, really. Seems we might be getting a spear of some kind soon - I imagine it would be crafted with the saplings as well.
That goes for the better-improvised tools, too. First, you wouldn't have the tools to make them in the improvised forge. Additionally, why not just make things easier and have the resulting item be identical to the found tools? That would make it less of an effort and it would make more sense. The handles could be crafted by carving down a piece of fir firewood and filing it down to make the handle.
Straightened shafts - again, I see no point to this. Again, in the survival scenario, you should just go with the simpler way. Too much development effort at a little reward, in my opinion.
Axe - as a double-handed proper axe for cutting wood, this tool should be found, very heavy but very good at cutting up wood. It could have a forged "counterpart" which would be basically an axehead and could be crafted with a cured sapling and guts into a proper improvised tool. Generally, very heavy item to carry around, also not very practical to use in self-defense against a wolf due to its length.
Shift - I can see this being worth the addition if the axe was added, including the improvised axehead forging. Not to craft hatchet heads, improvised hatchets are fine as-is. Additionally, I can see this tool being used along with a heavy hammer as a way to split logs into firewood rather easily.
Crampons - if you mean the climbing equipment I have in mind, those would actually lower the chance of sprains (and should, the way you suggested it, you would be able to walk up more, but you would be spraining everything constantly - it would be counterproductive. I like the idea of making rope climbing an climbing easier, makes sense. Finally, they would lower the movement speed if worn constantly - and quite significantly, by 30%. This would make them more of a "climbing" equipment.

Durability - No to whetstones and decreased durability. Again, let's keep that simple. I do like the idea of having a stationary grinding stone at set points at map, which would be difficult to get to. As long as the duration could only be repaired to 75% and not above, I can see it as a good mechanic. However, each tool could only be restored once this way. To make sure the tools wouldn't be ever-lasting, for game purposes. Also, the bigger amount would be repaired this way, the higher would be a random chance of the tool breaking beyond repair.

Better scenery
I get where you are coming from. Problem with these is with visibility - it would make it very difficult to spot anything if there was more dense vegetation. I am in favour, though - could have that there would be occasionally smaller trees or bushes here and there. Absolutely no to tree falling - altering the regions this way would be way too much trouble then it would be worth.

Building - as mentioned before, no to terrain altering. I have no issue with being able to build wind shelters with hides and different types of campfires - as long as they are a part of the camping section of the wheel and can be removed, have a durability just like the snow shelter. Nothing permanent.

8 hours ago, gnomegnine said:

okay. sorry.

It is fine :) In fact, I am a huge hypocrite for tearing you up for it, because I used to do this same thing all the time. But it makes sense, right? :) If you think about it... all we have seen added into the game have been for the most part suggestions that were talked about over and over and over again :) It is one of the reasons why I wanted to come back - to encourage people to talk about anything, even things that were here before. All opinions and ideas matter because even if they don't bring anything new to the table, they still bring the evidence of one more person who is thinking this particular way. 

Keep up the good work instead - I am very happy to see ya around the forums mostly for your ability to speak your mind and not being afraid to disagree with others. That is something a lot of people don't have the courage to do around here. But constructive criticism is the best way to move discussion and ideas further. As long as you always respect the person opposite to you for their own opinion (even if they might not feel the same, some people can't handle disagreement, I would know, I am sometimes one of them :D) you will be fine, and you will be integral part of the community :) 

Archived