Less Hourglasses, More Animations

Strategizer

I read that a bunch of animators just joined the team, that's great.

I have a few short quick animations that I would love to see for both Wintermute and Sandbox.  

Please look at all the hourglass timers in the game and put in short 1st person animations.  When you climb a rope you see the arms!  not a hourglass waiting for the results we need MORE of this!   Just a few examples:  Sharpening a Hunting Knife add a 1st person animation, sewing, reading a book, drinking water/tea remove the hourglass and add an arm/hand/bottle with a drink animation, pick up anything in the world should show your arm/hand and the object, not a magically floaty item game menu.  So for example picking up a stick should show an animation of the quick pick-up in your hand presenting you with the Leave or Take options, rather than the in game menu showing a floaty stick, Final quick animation of putting the stick back down or moving it toward you for inventory storage.  

LT:DR more climbing rope style animations, remove most static image + hourglass from the game.  I think this would add a more immersive experience.

Thanks for reading

While I agree that such animations would be good, I have played the game for over 1,500 days and not noticed the lack of them.

When I compare the graphics and animations of TLD with Skyrim then Skyrim wins hands down.  However, I find TLD a much more enjoyable, exciting, challenging game than the brilliant Skyrim.

I think that the TLD team have done a great job of using their relatively limited resources to greatest effect. 

3 hours ago, Strategizer said:

Please look at all the hourglass timers

Very nice ideas @Strategizer, this creates some interesting food for thought.
While the concept and title of this post are very good, some of the other examples of first person animations may not improve upon the hourglass animations and/or blurred time-passing animation.

• Reworking the campfire animations is a great opportunity for adding beauty to the game.
  • An animated sleeping in the bed roll, especially in the cold, could be very interesting.
  • And as a confessed coffee lover, an animation of sipping a cup of steaming coffee would be wonderful.

As for the tool sharpening and cloth harvesting/mending, these may need to be done in the mind's eye...as we often make use of time after dark.

Just a couple ideas, and I am with you for team campfire and team coffee sipping animations in TLD. :coffee:

@s7mar7in Thanks for the kind words.  Love the additional ideas.

@peteloudI am not criticizing the small teams existing animations.   I am talking about the HOURGLASS, that is not an "animation" by any stretch of the imagination.   I would just like less hourglass in the game and more animations.  I just posted some super short simple things the brand NEW animators with the brand NEW motion capture studio equipment they just acquired could be used in small bitesize animations players could enjoy quickly.  Now For sure, the big full cinematic Wintermute stuff will consume most of their time.  Myself (and many others) spend 95% in sandbox so these small little things would be very to see.   

The one I'd like to see most is the ability to get into bed, and still interact with the inventory and nearby objects - a bit like when you're in a car. So, you can't move, except for looking around, but you would benefit from the warmth bonus and be free to do stuff like read or eat or craft or repair. (Maybe there'd be a time penalty for crafting and repairing in bed to reflect your more restricted space and movement?)

Archived