Heavy hammer took some finding

peteloud

A while back I started a Voyager game to demonstrate the game to a friend.  I chose to start at Desolation Point because it includes many different aspects of the game.  I assumed that it would be easy starting there because of the forge.

Like Hell it was!  I stocked up the ship with a load of coal and scrap, enough to make a million arrowheads, but I could not find the heavy hammer.  I searched everywhere, or at least I like to think I did, in DP, along the Old Island Connector, Coastal Highway, Pleasant Valley, The Ravine, Mystery Lake with no success. After that I had to go to Spence's Forge to make some arrowheads but I didn't want to take that hammer. Eventually found a heavy hammer in Milton after 231 days.  

After failing to find it earlier I thought, "Ahhh, it must be in the wolf's cave, DP".  However without a rifle or bow & arrows I didn't want to risk going in that area.  Much later, once I had rifle, bow & arrows I returned from ML to kill that bear and enter the wolf's cave.  I found neither the wolf nor the heavy hammer.

In these 231 days I have not seen one Moose.  I have passed signs of moose near the trailers at the dam a thousand times, and elsewhere, but never a moose.

Now that I have that heavy hammer I can return to The Riken and make lots of arrowheads, then I will not need to carry a heavy rifle around. Now where the Hell is that moose hiding?

6 hours ago, peteloud said:

I searched everywhere, or at least I like to think I did

Great callout regarding the heavy hammer @peteloud, really enjoyed reading your story.
I've noticed a similar "apparent change in loot" in one of my current runs; in that the prybar, (which used to be found "everywhere"), is nowhere to be found. The lack of a prybar in ML and CH is now a very noticeable disadvantage and has grown to be it's own mini-quest, (I'm also noting rope is less often found).
I'm not sure why, but this small change to a most basic loot item has made gameplay much more fun! Best of luck my friend. :coffee:

I don't think it's intentional, but I do enjoy when games seem to have thematic disadvantages.  In my first run that made it longer than 5 days, there was no rifle to be found in ML, CH or MT.  Made it 50 days w/o ever seeing one.  My current game would have no hammer, if I didn't hit the peak of TWM: I'm on day 175 or so. (Haven't checked FM)

After my earlier difficulties finding a heavy hammer and a moose I eventually saw, and killed, a moose near Trappers Cabin in ML at around  day 270, then another  at around day 285 near the dam in ML.  I managed to kill that second moose with my first arrow with a long distance shot.  My luck seems to have suddenly changed.

With a moose sack to carry my heavy hammer I returned to Desolation Point around day 300 to make arrowheads.  Before starting at the forge I decided to have a quick look around and pick up a few resources.  In the process I found a heavy hammer in Desolation Point. 

So I wasted, over 200 days searching everywhere except Timberwolf Mountain & Hushed River Valley until I found a heavy hammer. Early in the game I spent a great deal of time in DP looking for that hammer, I felt that there must  be a hammer in that area because of the forge.  I looked everywhere several times.  Well not quite, when I found the hammer it was in an obvious place and I must have walked passed it, without seeing it, at least twice.

Now I have 137 arrowheads, as well as being well stocked up with arrows.  I now feel certain that there will not be enough birch saplings to make the shafts for those arrowheads.

Archived