Plug car battery to electric devices

Wormer

I know all electrical devices are destroyed by the phenomena, but lamps and radio work still. Since we got this new item placement mechanics, why not to allow the survivor to dismount batteries from cars with the use of prybar and leather gloves (the latter is crucial every time you take/place the battery). A battery can be placed near lamps as a source of night-time lighting. Oil lamps use too limited resource for that purpose. Batteries can replenish once in an aurora and could last for several (let's say 3-4) hours after that, could also be disconnected to save power for later use.

Accumulator batteries can work below zero with less power output, I think if they moved to a relatively warm condition it will be good. The thing that you need to light a 110V or 220V lamp is a voltage converter from 15V -- this item can be found somewhere which is for the better.

I do hope they eventually introduce a use for car batteries. If I  remember correctly earlier versions of the car engine didn't have the separate and obvious battery design, so there must have been a reason for the change. Don't know if it would be a game breaker, but using them to charge flashlights or power lamps would be handy. Maybe they can't be removed, since they are typically bolted down IRL, not to mention ridiculously heavy for their size. This way you can make use of them, but only under the hood.

And yes, batteries freeze, but so do water bottles and cans of pop... 

I think it would be nice if you had to collect several batteries and a flashlight to install a very meager lighting system in your "base".  It would take several Auroras to charge the system.  And the light provided at night would be very dim, but would make tasks requiring light possible.  The charge would last a day or two after the top-up aurora.  Then it would need another aurora to re-charge.  The system would work even it wasn't on your current region.  That way, if you see an aurora, you could migrate back to your "base" to take advantage of the night-work.

I suggest it take enough batteries to where you could only really establish one or two of these systems per game.  Maybe not all batteries are viable.  The batteries themselves should be plenty heavy (40lbs), making it only practical to haul one at a time.

All this would make it a pretty late-game task to set up, with no particular overpowered benefits, but a "nice to have".  It also could be considered "not worth it", which I think is appropriate.

Archived