Bears bleeding out when you go inside

Spakerman

So, I thought that previously when you shot a bear and then loaded into an interior location then the bear would not bleed out.  Watching a stream last night clearly this has changed.  He was able to shoot the bear with his bow  in the middle of ML and then run screaming into one of the cottages.  Passed time for 1 hour and then went and found the bear dead outside his den.

Am I crazy or was this recently changed?  

I'm not sure that this change makes it reliable that a bear will bleed out in one hour of accelerated time (by whatever method), though. I think it possibly depends on the severity of the hit(s) you've scored on the animal first.

Yesterday I shot the Unnamed Pond bear in the shoulder with an arrow from the hunters blind. It ran off over the low hill towards the rabbit area in front of the little cabin, sending wolves scattering in all directions as it went. I followed it over the hill, but couldn't see where it'd gone, so I went into the hut to sleep and warm up for a while. When I came out, I still couldn't see the bear, nor hear crows marking the location of a carcass, and I couldn't find it in a quick search of the immediate area. It hadn't gone back to it's lair, either. I don't know where it went; I never found it. I assume it de-spawned after a while, possibly leaving my arrow lying in some random bit of snow somewhere.

It used to be the case that accelerating time after wounding an animal would cause its carcass to appear exactly where you shot it when you reemerged. This doesn't happen any more. The bug they fixed recently would, I think, cause the wounded animal to resest back to full health at its spawn location if you exited the 'outdoor' map. This doesn't happen any more either, thankfully. From what I understand, the game now tracks the animal's movement and condition as it runs away and bleeds after you injure it, even if you leave the map (going indoors counts as a different map) and/or accelerate time through some action or other. But where it'll end up does not seem to be gauranteed, or even terribly predictable.

I might have got some of that wrong in terms of the technicalities, but that's my experience of it.

14 hours ago, Pillock said:

Yesterday I shot the Unnamed Pond bear in the shoulder with an arrow from the hunters blind. It ran off over the low hill towards the rabbit area in front of the little cabin, sending wolves scattering in all directions as it went. I followed it over the hill, but couldn't see where it'd gone, so I went into the hut to sleep and warm up for a while.

Are you absolutely sure you scored a real hit? Was there blood on the ground where you shot it?

It's very possible to see blood spray, even get an archery "hit point", but only have gotten a grazing scratch on the animal, which won't bleed out.

No blood on ground = not bleeding out.

14 hours ago, Pillock said:

I never found it. I assume it de-spawned after a while, possibly leaving my arrow lying in some random bit of snow somewhere.

Did your "Bears killed" count go up in your stats?

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Are you absolutely sure you scored a real hit? Was there blood on the ground where you shot it?

It's very possible to see blood spray, even get an archery "hit point", but only have gotten a grazing scratch on the animal, which won't bleed out.

No blood on ground = not bleeding out.

Could be. There was blood spray, and the arrow stayed stuck in its shoulders as it ran about, so I assumed it was a good hit. I don;t remember if there as blood on the ground or a trail.

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Did your "Bears killed" count go up in your stats?

Didn't think to check. And that character is dead now, cos of fishinghutwolf.

• 3 months later...

I've had a similar experience lately hunting my first bear at the unnamed pond. I've shot two arrows at the thing at close range, I can't say clearly if I've hit and where appart from seeing blood sprays but when it left fleeing there was a blood trail, which I followed for a bit. When the thing appeared again behind my back I ran to find shelter in trapper's cabin. The day was nearly over so I've spent the night there, around 12 hours, maybe even more.

The next morning I went looking for my prize but found it standing on it's legs ready to jump me. I managed to stick a round into the thing before it got its revenge. Some pieces of me found their way back to trapper's homestead where they've spent two days recovering. The stats board confirmed that the thing wasn't on its legs anymore so I could go back with the confidence I had left falling in the snow two days earlier. The poor beast looked so peaceful, at least there's now a new steakhouse in town !

• 4 weeks later...

Archived