Leather, dammit!!

Triple_D_50

Technically, we don't actually "tan" anything, let alone make leather. The skinning process is automated, fleshing doesn't technically ever happen nor do we see any salting. The processes pre and post curing never actually occur and are just "assumed." Making the coats and items we make in the game would never be made after just the "curing" part of the process. The fibers would need to be broken down (and effectively tanned) to be of any real use in sewing into anything. Leather is a similar process but also requires the removal of the fur. If you notice in the game, what we really have is deer leather pants and boots, the hair is removed (which is good, because deer hair is practically useless and gets bent and falls off anyway). Yet we never actually go through or see the tanning process, it is just assumed. Since we don't technically need anything too special to actually tan (using animal brains works) this assumption is fine, although the process does require additional steps and resources, I think adding a lot of that would over complicate things. None of the sewing times in the game technically make sense for hand sewing, and without the use of "cloth" in the crafting of many items would mean no inner lining. This is another case of we just "assume" it happens somehow.

That's all fine though because it's a game, haha.

I would not be opposed to needing to put animal hides on walls or on a rack to "cure" them rather than just dropping them on the floor (since it makes the tanning assumption a little easier to swallow).

If you're talking about why the heck we can't make "cured leather" when it's an item in the game, that's a good question, and definitely something that could be craftable with animal hides. Although thickness and leather quality would vary from animal to animal, and rabbit should not be usable at all in crafting leather.

On 9/8/2018 at 12:52 AM, Doc Feral said:

The only way to create cured leather is making a moose satchel and recycling it. So in order to repair your beloved gauntlets you'll need a full moose. If things get dire you're better off with bunny mittens.

Wait what?

If you are going to harvest something to get cured leather, I wouldn't waste my moose satchel...

Why not harvest work boots, or driving gloves, or dress shoes, or sneakers, etc.?

1 hour ago, Wintermut said:

Wait what?

If you are going to harvest something to get cured leather, I wouldn't waste my moose satchel...

Why not harvest work boots, or driving gloves, or dress shoes, or sneakers, etc.?

Because you'll already have harvested them, that's how things will get dire. That's the only way to "create" leather, from a natural renewable source. And that's why you'd better plan to have a full barbarian outfit. I prefer keeping gauntlets as the last non-crafted piece of outer clothing (apart from headgear) because rabbit mittens are annoyingly frail, but I surely won't skin a moose to repair them.

6 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Because you'll already have harvested them, that's how things will get dire. That's the only way to "create" leather, from a natural renewable source. And that's why you'd better plan to have a full barbarian outfit. I prefer keeping gauntlets as the last non-crafted piece of outer clothing (apart from headgear) because rabbit mittens are annoyingly frail, but I surely won't skin a moose to repair them.

There really needs to be a laughing reaction, instead of just "like." I'd have used it on about 5 of your comments by now.

Archived