Slingshots and throwing spears

Brock Hiebert

I think it would be cool to see the addition of slingshots and throwing spears. Slingshots would be crafted at a work bench using a cured branch, cured gut and cured leather and would be designed to hunt rabbits with greater accuracy and range. Throwing spears could act as a cheaper alternative when hunting dear.

Minus the cured leather on the slingshot imo. I could see a cured sapling (birch), though I like the idea of sticks better because they are renewable/abundant. A slingshot would be like throwing a rock, just better. I added that suggestion too, but it was more of a fun idea than a serious one, mostly because rabbits are sooooo easy to catch and there's so many ways to kill them already. lol (I find snares to be nearly worthless because of stones)

Throwing spears would be interesting for sure. They could use an arrow head as well, making those dual purpose. If they use a cured sapling though, it should be birch. Save maple for the bow. Either that, or if it uses maple then the spear should have a decently long life to make it worth using as an alternative to the bow.

Like the bow, you'd have to stand to use it, and it would/should likely expend more calories to throw it. It should be affected by wind.

16 minutes ago, Dawnshift said:

Hunting rabbits with 'war darts' could be fun :D.

Seeing as there are many types of different throwing spears over the ages: would you guys prefer something like a javelin or do you prefer the stone age spearthrower variant?

Whatever is best fitting to the conditions, resources, and skills our characters have in the game.

Archived