Improve some annoying mechanics

Tbone555

Okay so I have a few small pet peeves with this game that aren't necessarily huge, but are very annoying nontheless. Here's a small list:

I can't cancel some actions such as repairing or making a fire. I should have liberty to choose to cancel these actions whenever I please. It would have saved my life if I could have cancelled making that fire when I heard a bear walking up behind me. 

Medicine doesn't work if taken / drank from the inventory. It has to be taken via the medicine menu to work properly. It's all going to my stomach. I shouldn't have to tell it what to heal.

Some chairs are breakable by hand and some require a hatchet. Why?

I can break a huge wooden crate with my hands alone but I require a hatchet to break a shelf. Why? If anything I could more easily break a shelf by hand than a giant wooden crate

Old bedrolls and pillows require a hunting knife to break down and can not be broken down with a hacksaw or hatchet or by hand, while most other cloth items in the game are broken down by hand. The bedroll in our inventory doesn't even require a tool to break down. This makes no sense.

All in all these are small problems, but really kill immersion and result in waste of good materials. And this game being mostly about managing materials and inventory, that makes it a big deal. What inspired me to write this post was just now, I wanted to repair a mackenaw jacket I found. I only had one cloth however. So I wanted to rip up an old pillow. I had a perfectly good hatchet to help me with that. But I HAD to have a hunting knife. Oh well. I broke down some old socks instead. Except I accidentally hit repair and could not cancel the action. There went my Spare piece of cloth. The whole situation left me saying WHAT?

11 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

I broke down some old socks instead. Except I accidentally hit repair and could not cancel the action. There went my Spare piece of cloth.

In a version long gone players hit the wrong button and accidentally harvested their only pair of trousers.

15 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

Medicine doesn't work if taken / drank from the inventory. It has to be taken via the medicine menu to work properly.

I use meds from inventory (Steam/windows).  The annoying "which body part?" quiz is too easy to get wrong, yep.  (Poor UI design IMO, especially for pills and teas.)  But when you get it right the meds work.

On 7/3/2018 at 5:55 AM, Tbone555 said:

Medicine doesn't work if taken / drank from the inventory. It has to be taken via the medicine menu to work properly. It's all going to my stomach. I shouldn't have to tell it what to heal.

I feel you!! Especially on this one! It's such a pain to have to go through such a roundabout way just to self-medicate. WHY?

"It's all going to my stomach." Haha!

Archived