No aurora on Nomad?

Tbone555

So I'm about 40 days into my latest nomad run. And have not seen the aurora once. I've been waiting for it every night, sleeping during the day. This is really disappointing to me, because typically I always bunker down and use a bug-in play style on my normal survival sandboxes. I figured nomad would give me the opportunity to explore around a little bit and find some of the new buffer memories. Why isn't the aurora present in nomad?

I think nomad has some stuff missing. I've been trying to finish it (again) in the past days and I noticed no auroras as well, and no skill books either! Which is too bad because I'd really like to have something else to do while I wait for the 3 days to pass in a specific location.

8 hours ago, Kaisentlaia said:

I think nomad has some stuff missing. I've been trying to finish it (again) in the past days and I noticed no auroras as well, and no skill books either! Which is too bad because I'd really like to have something else to do while I wait for the 3 days to pass in a specific location.

It seems that nomad just hasn't been updating with the rest of the game. Odd.

• 2 years later...

Yeah. That sucks.

I am well over 150 days into this challenge, got killed almost 3 times to make it to the Cannery Ammunition Workshop, 

just to figure out that you ll need Aurora in order  to have the final door opened.

This sucks big time!!!

Since the last update, I've gone through untypically long periods without auroras on several of my gamesaves (custom but with variously different settings for "aurora frequency" - even on those saves where I've deliberately increased the frequency of auroras.  I've wondered if there isn't some sort of bug going on with the RNG on this currently.

9 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Since the last update, I've gone through untypically long periods without auroras on several of my gamesaves (custom but with variously different settings for "aurora frequency" - even on those saves where I've deliberately increased the frequency of auroras.  I've wondered if there isn't some sort of bug going on with the RNG on this currently.

To be honest I am not sure. I am quite new to this game, but I do like it.

Passed the story mode, and then, decided to go with the "Nomad mode". I came to me kind of strange that the Aurora didn't show at all the first 10-15 days, but I guessed that most likely, the Aurora was intentionally left out of this mode. Went on with my mission.

However, I really wanted to craft some ammunition , and has been collection all the stuff needed to do so. On my 100th and some day I finally made it to the facility 

to figure out it is behind an electronic gate with a code. I do know the code but worthless. Door won't open. Even though it gave out some strange noise (like rejecting the code) , but like I said the code was found on a piece of paper at the upper antenna.

It's a pretty big bag (whole) they left with that. Can you finish the game w/o making ammunition? Sure you can. But it just takes a lil bit of fun there.

Have you done the Nomad?

5 hours ago, BravoPet said:

To be honest I am not sure. I am quite new to this game, but I do like it.

Passed the story mode, and then, decided to go with the "Nomad mode". I came to me kind of strange that the Aurora didn't show at all the first 10-15 days, but I guessed that most likely, the Aurora was intentionally left out of this mode. Went on with my mission.

However, I really wanted to craft some ammunition , and has been collection all the stuff needed to do so. On my 100th and some day I finally made it to the facility 

to figure out it is behind an electronic gate with a code. I do know the code but worthless. Door won't open. Even though it gave out some strange noise (like rejecting the code) , but like I said the code was found on a piece of paper at the upper antenna.

It's a pretty big bag (whole) they left with that. Can you finish the game w/o making ammunition? Sure you can. But it just takes a lil bit of fun there.

Have you done the Nomad?

It may well be that, with the nomad challenge, there is no aurora on purpose (I can't recall).  It would seem odd since one of the locations is the Cinder Hills Coal Mine and you need an aurora for the elevator to work (but maybe they are intentionally wanting the route to be blocked).  The cannery is not on the list of locations, so perhaps they also don't want the player to be able to make ammo during the challenge.  Still, I think you should report it as a bug and you'll at least get an answer from them.

The last time I tried the Nomad challenge was a very long time ago... before the Cinder Hills Coal Mine was changed and before the Cannery was added.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It may well be that, with the nomad challenge, there is no aurora on purpose (I can't recall).  It would seem odd since one of the locations is the Cinder Hills Coal Mine and you need an aurora for the elevator to work (but maybe they are intentionally wanting the route to be blocked).  The cannery is not on the list of locations, so perhaps they also don't want the player to be able to make ammo during the challenge.  Still, I think you should report it as a bug and you'll at least get an answer from them.

The last time I tried the Nomad challenge was a very long time ago... before the Cinder Hills Coal Mine was changed and before the Cannery was added.

Yeah, you are correct. The elevator in Cinder Hills Coal Mine does not work, but both entrances can be accessed from outside without any problem. One(the upper one) is I guess the one that connects to the Ravine, and the other one is down the hill  , just across the highway of the Log Sort. They are both called "Cinder Hills Coal Mine" and your stay in either of them counts towards your time spent.

Also, the elevator in the Dam does not work. 

None of my 10 flashlight I found so far never worked.

Anyways, please tell me how should I submit a possible bug to Hinterland?

Thanks for your input!

The elevator in the Carter Dam only activates during Wintermute, AFAIK, but it is still possible to go completely through the Carter Dam between Mystery Lake and Winding River without using that elevator and, as a result, without any aurora.  The Cinder Hills Coal mine elevator, however, will work during an aurora in survival mode and is the only way that I know of to travel through the mine between Coastal Highway and Pleasant Valley.  Before they changed the layout of the mine when they added Episode 3, it was possible to just walk through the Cinder Hills Coal Mine at any time.  I've never been a fan of that elevator, so I tend to avoid the mine now in my survival runs and go the long way around through the Ravine to Mystery Lake, Mystery Lake to Winding River, Winding River to Pleasant Valley)  It is possible that Hinterland have disabled the aurora in the Nomad Challenge to avoid players getting stuck inside the mine.

At any rate, to fill out a bug report, just access the "Support" tab and follow the links/instructions there.   Good luck with your challenge.

ETA:  Your comments got me looking at the maps in the Wiki.  I guess I need to go explore that mine a little further instead of avoiding it.  I see from the map that the connection to PV is doable without and aurora and the wiki says something like the 3 zones of the mine being connected only in Wintermute.  All this time going the long way around... serves me right for not really investigating outside of Wintermute.  Planning to go through the mine soon to figure out what I've been missing.  Thanks.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The elevator in the Carter Dam only activates during Wintermute, AFAIK, but it is still possible to go completely through the Carter Dam between Mystery Lake and Winding River without using that elevator and, as a result, without any aurora.  The Cinder Hills Coal mine elevator, however, will work during an aurora in survival mode and is the only way that I know of to travel through the mine between Coastal Highway and Pleasant Valley.  Before they changed the layout of the mine when they added Episode 3, it was possible to just walk through the Cinder Hills Coal Mine at any time.  I've never been a fan of that elevator, so I tend to avoid the mine now in my survival runs and go the long way around through the Ravine to Mystery Lake, Mystery Lake to Winding River, Winding River to Pleasant Valley)  It is possible that Hinterland have disabled the aurora in the Nomad Challenge to avoid players getting stuck inside the mine.

At any rate, to fill out a bug report, just access the "Support" tab and follow the links/instructions there.   Good luck with your challenge.

Yeah, since after the Story Mode(Wintermute) , this is the only mode (Nomad) I have played , I think Hinterland changed few  things with the maps and how certain locations can be accessed. 

You are correct, I don't need the elevator in the Dam to reach Winding River.  However, probably the reason for the absence of the Aurora is , like you mentioned, prohibit people got stuck between certain points of the game and be dependable of the occurrence of the Aurora.

Thanks again, anyways I ll point it out for the Hinterland to see if they confirm.

Cheers!