As The Crow Flies

Ice Hole

Crows no longer clip into the landscape.  This is so much better than before.  When climbing around I used to see the crows fly straight through the landscape and come out the other side.  Very strange magic i used to blame it on. 

As of the new patch V1.33 Crows fly above the ground raising their altitude to clear obstructions.

It does look a little unnatural when the crow changes its elevation.  It is reminding me of humming birds.  maybe their path finding needs to look further ahead with so the crows angle has less slope.  Sort of like trains going up a steep mountain, a gentle low percent grade.

What does everyone think of the new crow flight mechanic?

I haven't obsereved the altitude change rate yet, but I do remember how it was.  One anecdote from the old system: My last bear kill was a bleed-out from an arrow to the butt.  When I found the bear, it was stuck halfway up a cliff wall.  The crows were circling at the top of the accessible cliff.  I walked up there and the crows flew through me.

Missed opportunity, really.  Imagine if they had a collision feature coded in.  "You've been impaled by a crow."  Or perhapse a struggle animation, like with wolves.  Random chance of being blinded?  Try to survive The Long Dark in that state!O.o

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 10:08 PM, Khan_Drichthyes said:

I haven't obsereved the altitude change rate yet, but I do remember how it was.  One anecdote from the old system: My last bear kill was a bleed-out from an arrow to the butt.  When I found the bear, it was stuck halfway up a cliff wall.  The crows were circling at the top of the accessible cliff.  I walked up there and the crows flew through me.

Missed opportunity, really.  Imagine if they had a collision feature coded in.  "You've been impaled by a crow."  Or perhapse a struggle animation, like with wolves.  Random chance of being blinded?  Try to survive The Long Dark in that state!O.o

Speaking of collision, I didn't manage to take a screenshot of it, but just yesterday when I was sleeping in a bedroll outdoors near the Trapper's Homestead during daylight, a heard really loud footsteps and my heart stopped. When I woke up, giant bear footsteps went right across me! Through the snow and across my bedroll to the other side. In my sleep a bear had trampled across me causing zero damage. I felt like a superhero! And was also seriously spooked.

The circling crows change their altitude and are much more animated since the update.

Dip, glide, climb even direction change.  The crows have soul.

It's the little things.

On 7/3/2018 at 12:44 AM, scuttlebum said:

was sleeping in a bedroll outdoors near the Trapper's Homestead during daylight, a heard really loud footsteps and my heart stopped. When I woke up, giant bear footsteps went right across me! Through the snow and across my bedroll to the other side. In my sleep a bear had trampled across me causing zero damage.

That should have resulted in a mauling. Going back a year. I got mauled by a bear while sleeping in a bedroll. 

Maybe it's a bug related to changing animal behavior while time passes.

Archived