Animals now move in real-time during mapping since Update?

Moonraker

Prior to the latest 1.33 Update, whenever I used Charcoal to  map any creatures such as bears or wolves, you could see them walking at a normal pace as you would normally. The clock passes faster but not the creatures movement.

However I was beginning to map Broken Railroad on a clear day playing after Update on a custom survival (x2 selected) and was freaked when as I used the charcoal, a black blur suddenly flew across the screen! I was up a tree trunk and a wolf had zapped around the screen. It got stuck under the tree when the mapping had completed but moved off when I moved.

I then moved to the fallen trunk over the ice to map again in safety and the same thing happened. Not sure if it was some issue with it sensing me up while mapping I waited for it to do a couple of normal paths across the ice, then mapped while watching the wolf.

As soon as I started mapping it did not carry on walking at normal pass as before but was moving at speeded up time across the ice path several times.

It seems then that the passing time while mapping at least, now effects the creatures movement speed also where as it did't before.

Anyone able to confirm this? so it's not something specific to Broken Rairoad or maybe some glitch with Custom timescale and the update; or simply a new game mechanical change.

28 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

Saw a wolf in distance, decided to test it. I began to map the map with charcoal and indeed the wolf flew by in distance. So I guess the animals now move in real time!! Awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to confirm this change. Will have to be more careful while mapping now.

14 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

Saw a wolf in distance, decided to test it. I began to map the map with charcoal and indeed the wolf flew by in distance. So I guess the animals now move in real time!! Awesome!

It most certainly is not "awesome". Been attacked by three bears and a wolf while trying to harvest things. So far, I see no workaround other than trying to hunt them down beforehand which I don't always have time for, or to waste a precious match or another resource for a fire.

34 minutes ago, JaySovereign said:

It most certainly is not "awesome". Been attacked by three bears and a wolf while trying to harvest things. So far, I see no workaround other than trying to hunt them down beforehand which I don't always have time for, or to waste a precious match or another resource for a fire.

That's absurd, why it's not awesome? I mean.. It takes about 10 minutes to harvest something and in 10 minutes it was probably enough for the wolf/bear to arrive and attack you. If the time is accelerating, why shouldnt wildlife move in accelerating time at 2x speed (since time is passing quickly)? :)

29 minutes ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Wolf mauled me, left me at 3%. I was forced to use the knife as I left the hammer at base. Shot up a stim, ran inside. Went to bed, 10 hours. Came out, I heard the wolf die. So apparently they move realtime now, but also no longer reset when you enter a building.

Ouch. It"s good that they can now move realtime while doing accelerating activities. It's also good that they no longer reset when yo enter a building. I never knew that they would reset themselves when you would enter a building, it sounds silly. :o

Just now, thekillergreece said:

That's absurd, why it's not awesome? I mean.. It takes about 10 minutes to harvest something and in 10 minutes it was probably enough for the wolf/bear to arrive and attack you. If the time is accelerating, why shouldnt wildlife move in accelerating time at 2x speed (since time is passing quickly)? :)

Ouch. It"s good that they can now move realtime while doing accelerating activities. It's also good that they no longer reset when yo enter a building. I never knew that they would reset themselves when you would enter a building, it sounds silly. :o

My ears suddenly do not work in that situation, though. We need a warning of some sort for something we can't even see!

30 minutes ago, JaySovereign said:

I don't know what you mean, my response wasn't intended to upset you. I'm sorry you saw it that way.

No, you did not upset me O.o

What I meant is.. If a warning system would be added, your time accelerating activity would likely be interrupted (thus reseting it) until you deal the danger. I guess.

1 minute ago, thekillergreece said:

No, you did not upset me O.o

What I meant is.. If a warning system would be added, your time accelerating activity would likely be interrupted (thus reseting it) until you deal the danger. I guess.

I'd much rather have that than a bear attack, though. They already interrupt your harvesting and you have to start over once you get yourself patched up again.

I've had the opportunity to test this on one of my runs (stalker) and I couldn't reproduce this issue. Harvested several cedar and fir limbs in full view of a wolf and the wolf didn't move during any of the harvest sessions.

Since this new behavior isn't mentioned in the changelist for Vigilant Flame, I'm gonna guess that it's an unintentional regression that doesn't affect all platforms. I'm running the Linux version and I'm just not seeing it on my end.

Just throwing that out there as a plausible theory.

12 hours ago, Meat said:

I've had the opportunity to test this on one of my runs (stalker) and I couldn't reproduce this issue. Harvested several cedar and fir limbs in full view of a wolf and the wolf didn't move during any of the harvest sessions.

Since this new behavior isn't mentioned in the changelist for Vigilant Flame, I'm gonna guess that it's an unintentional regression that doesn't affect all platforms. I'm running the Linux version and I'm just not seeing it on my end.

Just throwing that out there as a plausible theory.

What region are you currently running in? I was attacked by the bears in Forlorn Muskeg. Like, all of them at different times, while I was trying to harvest wood and a deer.

3 hours ago, JaySovereign said:

What region are you currently running in? I was attacked by the bears in Forlorn Muskeg...

I just tested in ML for a limited amount of time that I had earlier but I can run my character over to FM shortly to give that region a go. Not sure if I'll go searching for bears but I'll certainly have no problems finding wolves. I'll harvest a few tree limbs and do some mapping and I'll get back to you soon with my observations.

------------------

EDIT: Just ran my character into FM and I can confirm that animals (at least the wolves) move in real time while mapping. As I'm normally not a "mapper" this is probably not a change that I personally would have noticed.

However, on my system (Linux), wolf behavior is still the same as before when harvesting tree limbs. Don't know about harvesting carcasses (I'm assuming it's the same) and I haven't had time to search out a bear in the brief time I had in FM. I guess I'll eventually find out.

Archived