Wind Direction

Ice Hole

Currently the clues for wind direction are subtle.  The movement of grass, trees, snow and smoke can indicate which way the wind is moving.  Something more closer to our character could be more helpful.  Why not have torch and breath effect also respond to wind direction. 

When the terrain is blocking the wind these effects would stop indicating the direction of the wind.  Another important addition cold be a crouched character could prevent the wind from extinguishing a torch.  The torch flickers and dances with the wind.  The character could crouch and use their body to block the wind.

• 2 weeks later...

I came here to express this, specifically. I would like to see more interactions between general "particle" effects (which may not be true particles) and the direction of the wind. Directional smoke-plumes, and most-importantly, your breath. The breath feels like the one thing left over from the pre-historic times of TLD's development. Made out of construction paper, omni-present, and static.

Since the environment plays such a huge role in the game, this does feel a little bit missing and immersion-breaking and it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult a thing to implement, given the availability of inexpensive particles (given the art style).

Related to this topic, it would also give more of a sense of which direction your scent is traveling. I'm not even sure whether this is a mechanic in-game or not, but since we have the stink-lines, knowing which way they're flowing and, perhaps, which direction we want to skirt around a wolf or bear would be really helpful.

Archived