Bear Hunting

Aly Salama

Welcome to the forums @Aly Salama ^_^

While I'm not familiar with that particular bear's route a useful way to hunt bears is to find a location they can't reach you in and shoot them from there. Even with a non-critical hit as long as the bear is bleeding it will eventually die. On the coastal highway I like hunting from beside cars because I can jump in when the bear charges me and sleep for 6-8 hours to run out the bleed clock. It usually works although it's been a few updates since I last played so take that advice with a grain of salt :D   

I think the signal hill bear goes right up to the tower. Nearby there are some huge boulders you can climb onto. You're safe up there. Others take a shot from just outside the tower fence and then dart back inside. Good luck either way!

1 hour ago, jerry486 said:

The only problem with going back in quickly after the shot is that the bear will probably despawn.

You're OK as long as you don't load a new map. So cars are OK but going inside a building interior is NOT. 

38 minutes ago, cekivi said:

You're OK as long as you don't load a new map. So cars are OK but going inside a building interior is NOT. 

Really? Does it happen only in Interloper? After wounding a bear I usually go inside for safety and rest and when I exit again I find the dead bear.

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Really? Does it happen only in Interloper? After wounding a bear I usually go inside for safety and rest and when I exit again I find the dead bear.

Weird. I've lost more than a few bears that way. If the weather changes (for instance) while inside all the animals will respawn and your bear will disappear. If you're outside when that happens the animal will be forced to stay as the player can still see it. 

Just killed a bear near the hunter's lodge. Before dawn I made a trip down the rope, carried some stuff to the hunter's blind and marched back up from the bridge's gate, using partial darkness for cover and not even trying to climb up too soon. I rested a bit, then I went to the rocks, packed the rope and looked down. From my observations climbing down the rope is a sure trigger for bear deployment. As I expected a bear walked in front of the cliff, and in a rather vile display of callousness I shot it from the safety of a 50 feet wall of rock. The satisfying splatter of blood confirmed the hit and the bear started running in panic. It immediately went out of sight, and I went back into the lodge to rip the curtains and inspect the rooms once more. So I confirm I took the shot and a few seconds later I went inside, and the following day (whole night of sleep) I inspected the area and found the dead bear.
I don't know, maybe it would be different in an even faster situation such as "exit house - bear in the front yard - shoot the bear - run back inside - wait" but I really went inside a few seconds after the shot.

I've had the bear despawn and respawn repeatedly on Coastal Highway in Voyageur mode.
From the steps of the trailer above the town just along from Silent Clearing - shoot the bear as it exits its cave - confirm hit with blood spatter and watch which way it runs, then duck back inside to sleep during the bleed out.  Each time I came back out a "new" bear was leaving the cave - wasted about 6 or 7 rounds of ammo trying this.  In the end, I shot it, crouched down out of sight and waited for it to run itself into the ground, which worked and I was able to harvest it.

Archived