proper burn mechanic

Tbone555

lets just be honest. show of hands, how many of us stood on a fire in this game to see if we'd get burned?

okay. so there's a burn affliction. thats a thing you found out by doing that stupid thing that we've all done. cool.

once again, show of hands, how many people here have burnt themselves cooking on a stove or over a fire in real life? i dunno about yall but i'm raising my hand. I think there needs to be a system in place, where every once in a while during the low stages of the cooking skill, or during forging, there's a chance to take a burn. and burns would have different severity levels. first, second, and third degree. third degree would be the worst, only happen on the forge, be the rarest, and leave a lasting effect on your survivor. third degree burns in real life are nasty, and can often become infected or leave body parts paralyzed in some cases if the nerves get effected by the burn. it would be similar to frostbite affliction, representing crippling effects. what yall think?

If you're wearing gloves I think the chances of burning yourself is really low. I've stood on a campfire to test it, but I was also wearing two pairs of socks and boots. I don't mind that it doesn't burn us in those conditions. I mean, I am thankful that it's not like this at least.

Still, if minor burns were added for naked parts of the body I wouldn't complain. I am not sure it would really add much though as people would pretty much always have gloves on.

maybe the gauntlets could be used to reduce the risk of being burnt as they are tough and used in protecting your hands in real life when dealing with fire. I mean some already spawn at the forlorn muskeg forge already. 

just a quick question if you get burnt do clothes take damage because if they didn't maybe we could add in this feature

13 hours ago, odizzido said:

If you're wearing gloves I think the chances of burning yourself is really low. I've stood on a campfire to test it, but I was also wearing two pairs of socks and boots. I don't mind that it doesn't burn us in those conditions. I mean, I am thankful that it's not like this at least.

Still, if minor burns were added for naked parts of the body I wouldn't complain. I am not sure it would really add much though as people would pretty much always have gloves on.

very true. however, realistically, you'd take your gloves off when around the campfire, let that heat get your skin all nice and toasty. i would, anyway, especially if wearing thick leather gloves
nice video by the way, that was amazing. and very true lol, videogame characters are apparently perpetually doused in gasoline awaiting to catch aflame

11 hours ago, private duksworth said:

maybe the gauntlets could be used to reduce the risk of being burnt as they are tough and used in protecting your hands in real life when dealing with fire. I mean some already spawn at the forlorn muskeg forge already. 

just a quick question if you get burnt do clothes take damage because if they didn't maybe we could add in this feature

very good idea, i like the idea of clothing offering protection against this aswell. especially when it comes to the forge, if youre wearing some thick gauntlets it might reduce burn severity from dropping a hot coal right on your wrist, or grabbing a smoldering hot piece of metal without thinking. accidents happen, after all
as for your question, i have no idea. i would like to think so, though

10 hours ago, GIJoefish said:

You mentioned frost bite. Is that in the game? If never let myself get cold enough to get it.

i got frostbite once. because i was on stalker, started on forlorn muskeg, had little firewood, no pants and was sleeping in an ice hole. if you let yourself stay cold for long enough it'll happen, and will permanently reduce your stamina. you don't necessarily have to be freezing, just cold for a long period of time

Archived