Moose hunting where the best place to always find one?

piddy3825

Ok, on my current survival play through, I have explored 77% of the map and so far and have only encountered one Moose and that was right outside the gas station on Coastal Hwy.  Likely the most unexpected place to come across a moose imho.  So, been traveling from zone to zone so far and hanging out near any marked trees for up to three days and nothing.  Making me a little frustrated, but then again I am getting really familiar with the maps...  

So, when you want to bag a moose, where do you go to find your prize?  

Moose are a "rare prize". I spent a hundred and twenty days up on TWM in my current playthrough. Seemed to take sixty days between when they would show up in the area marked by the trees.

Bagged them all. One of them went to waste as I tried to find out if I could have two moose-hide bags (turns out you can't)... but I did end up with lots of cured leather to repair the other one.

One nice thing about the moose-hide cloak... when it starts to fall apart, it really falls apart... then you can harvest it to get the moose-hide back and make another one without having to find another moose.

Yeah, the thing about that is that they show up for a few days on that cycle, and then they're gone again until the next time the cycle repeats. If you miss it, they're gone. To establish that sixty day cycle at the wing, I was wandering by there pretty much every day to check it out... and that doesn't preclude the possibility that the other moose areas (and I *know* that they are somewhat randomised as to when/where they will appear) have different cycles, or that maybe the number of days in the cycle is also somewhat randomised.

Moose are *rare*.

One thing (and my sample size is somewhat low so it may not hold completely true) but when I enter a new region and manage to find a moose area with the tree markings within a day or so of entering the region, there's always been a moose wandering about when I first find it. So, get geared up, enter a new region, and look for the markings. Remember, arched over fallen trees and scrambling around on cliff faces are a great way to hunt both moose and bear and keep yourself from getting mauled/getting your ribs broken. Sneak around the critter so you can get yourself into a good perch and then fire away.

Archived