Wind can push you around

Khan_Drichthyes

I know that wind in your face can slow you down.  But, what if wind coming from the side can push you sideways?

When I was transitioning from Mystery Lake to Coastal Highway, I ran into a major storm in the Ravine map.  I got stopped just short of the bridge by the cold and wind chill.  Thankfully, I was able to hug the cliff wall enough to get a fire going.  I couldn't wait for the storm to pass, as I was nearly out of sticks for the fire.  After warming as much as possible, I set out across the bridge.

In reality, the wind and it's gusts might have pushed me off balance, causing me to fall to my death.  This would certainly add more tension and suspense to that crossing.

That would be an amazing and welcome change. I can understand why they'd feel it unnecessary to add it, as losing your save because of something outside of the player's immediate control can be frustrating, I believe the overall effect on immersion would be worthwhile. I have stopped and thought about that being a feature almost every time I go across the dam, and both wondering why it isn't a thing, and being so glad that it isn't. :P

2 hours ago, Darkestnight said:

losing your save because of something outside of the player's immediate control can be frustrating,

It would be within your control, though. If it's very windy, you'd get an idea of how much effect the buffeting had on the direction of your movement while walking on the wider part of the bridge, and you could then judge whether or not it'd be safe to attempt the walk across the single rail. If it's very windy, you don't attempt it; if you did attempt it and you fell off, that'd be your fault.

I think it's a really good idea. It might be a tricky thing to get right for the developers, and it might not be very close to the top of their priority list, but it would be a good change overall if they could make it work.

7 hours ago, Pillock said:

It would be within your control, though. If it's very windy, you'd get an idea of how much effect the buffeting had on the direction of your movement while walking on the wider part of the bridge, and you could then judge whether or not it'd be safe to attempt the walk across the single rail. If it's very windy, you don't attempt it; if you did attempt it and you fell off, that'd be your fault.

I think it's a really good idea. It might be a tricky thing to get right for the developers, and it might not be very close to the top of their priority list, but it would be a good change overall if they could make it work.

What I mean by immediately under the player control, is what if the weather changes while you're currently crossing, even though it was a wonderfully calm day otherwise? Suddenly you fall down to your doom under no fault of your own? That's the kind of thing that can kill people's enjoyment, even if it would be rare and stoppable by NEVER crossing those types of crossings, just the fact that it CAN happen, can completely change how people have to play, and possibly not for the better.

I suppose if the rate of change in weather was a little more gradual, it wouldn't just come out of nowhere and instantly push people off the trestle.  I also don't envision it as a 100% certain death, but adding a challenge to such precarious locations.  Something to make one get into a nervous sweat as they crossed.

2 hours ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

I suppose if the rate of change in weather was a little more gradual, it wouldn't just come out of nowhere and instantly push people off the trestle.  I also don't envision it as a 100% certain death, but adding a challenge to such precarious locations.  Something to make one get into a nervous sweat as they crossed.

I hadn't seen your message of crouching potentially lessening the effect of the movement from wind, which would be a perfect balance to that, and I could see that working. =]

• 2 weeks later...
On 26.5.2018 at 4:01 AM, cekivi said:

Wind changing your direction - especially in blizzards - is an old, old forum request. I for one am all for it ;) 

This. If wind pushing you around only happened under the most extreme circumstances - very strong winds or maybe even only in a blizzard, you would not be caught by surprise. Because you can see the wind building up beforehand. Also you would most likely experience being pushed over on even terrain once or twice before it happens on the trestle. So you would know what to expect. Add common sense that you would not cross a trestle under very windy conditions in real life and you have a game situation where a death from being pushed into the canyon does not come as a surprise to the wary.

Allowing players to crouch to avoid getting puched off-balance seems like a good idea. So in practice you would still be able to cross the trestle even in a blizzard if you absolutely have to. Although the possibility that on the trestle not even crouching helps seems interesting as well.

While we are at it - yes - the occasional wind gust pushing you over in a blizzard should also "serve" (in terms of game mechanics) to disorientate you. Currently blizzards are not very dangerous anymore. Disorientation could make them better again.

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎04 at 6:16 AM, Hotzn said:

Allowing players to crouch to avoid getting puched off-balance seems like a good idea. So in practice you would still be able to cross the trestle even in a blizzard if you absolutely have to. Although the possibility that on the trestle not even crouching helps seems interesting as well.

While we are at it - yes - the occasional wind gust pushing you over in a blizzard should also "serve" (in terms of game mechanics) to disorientate you. Currently blizzards are not very dangerous anymore. Disorientation could make them better again.

Disorientation was the main reason it was wish listed. As it is, if you know the maps well enough, you can safely go anywhere you want just by pointing in the correct direction and pushing up. You will never change your bearing. Contrast this to a real storm (or any situation with reduced visibility) and everything from wind gusts to having one leg millimetres longer than the other will make you start going in circles. 

12 hours ago, cekivi said:

As it is, if you know the maps well enough, you can safely go anywhere you want just by pointing in the correct direction and pushing up. You will never change your bearing. Contrast this to a real storm (or any situation with reduced visibility) and everything from wind gusts to having one leg millimetres longer than the other will make you start going in circles. 

The other day I was trying to go from Trapper's to Unnamed Pond in thick fog (because I was very hungry, and I wanted the cattails). I heard crows circling the deer carcass near that low rock formation in between, and found my way to it mostly by sound. After eating and dumping the guts, I set out towards the pond... and ended up back at the cliffs round the corner and down the hill from Trapper's.

I guess I don't know the maps well enough, then. But I often get very muddled up if I can't see where I'm going. I like the idea of strong winds altering your direction slightly, though. It might mean I accidentally get to the place I'm trying to head to.

Archived