Random Thought

spaceman89

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums and new to the Long Dark as well. I am really enjoying the game so far. I was playing my first run through on Piligrim and made it to day 87 before I got mauled by a bear when attempting to kill it. But I had a random thought about being able to experience the 4 seasons when you are surviving out in nature. I know it doesn't exactly go along with the storymode and I don't know how warm it would get in summer or if there is even a true summer season in the games location. I think it would be cool to have to adjust to the different seasons when surviving. Maybe possibly in a second game in the future. What do y'all think?

Spaceman, how would you envision the transition between seasons to be like? 

The one issue I see is that there are a lot of people where the average amount of days lived is 30-40 minimum. So would you expect the seasons to switch every 30 days or so, even though that means that most players would only play one season per playthrough ?

EricTheGreat12,

That would be the tough part. Part of me envisioned having a new game, but with the current game I think it would be cool if the seasons went like real life so that 365 days would be a cycle. But like you said most players would not reach that. Maybe its designed more so for Pilgrim and that would present new challenges or it would just simply be difficult to experience all the seasons. And maybe have it where you can choose which season you start in. My favorite part of the game is surviving the elements.

As a kid I read the book "Hatchet" by Gary Paulson and survival in the elements always fascinated me and this game really allows one to experience that. But in a perfect world the game would have seasons that cycle like they do in real life. Just my thoughts and it would present a challenge for all the players who play on more difficult settings I would think.

best way to do it is with story mode seasons. Current season 1, 5 episodes are all Winter. Season 2, if there is one, Spring. etc. Additional seasons are added to Sandbox mode after the story season is complete. It'd be a player choice when starting a new Sandbox game. 

I realize seasons is probably a couple  years away, but I hope they continue to work on this game and eventually get there.  This is a really great game and still has an amazing amount of potential.  If you go back and look at the roadmap they removed, you will find that they have delivered on alot of the stuff on that list.  It is mostly just major stuff that they haven't completed.  I am hoping that the next major sandbox project will be mod support.  Unfortunately I don't think they will do anything with the mod support until the episodes are done, which will probably be 18-24 months from now.  Loving this custom difficulty BTW.

@JAFO is correct, there used to be old roadmaps with things devs would like to see in the game eventually. Seasons were a part of that suggestion. At the same time, however, I remember claims that the Winter was intended as the only season by design - that the mysterious event that causes the aurora also influenced the world wide weather, basically causing the Ice age - but I am unsure now whether that was official sources, or just community theories. I think its the latter.

On 17. 12. 2017 at 5:49 AM, EricTheGreat12 said:

Spaceman, how would you envision the transition between seasons to be like? 

The one issue I see is that there are a lot of people where the average amount of days lived is 30-40 minimum. So would you expect the seasons to switch every 30 days or so, even though that means that most players would only play one season per playthrough ?

I am not sure where you got that from, but if you came into realization that most people have a long learning curve when it comes to this game, and some will give up before getting to that point, especially before the game had any sort of tutorial in place, its not really proper to claim most people dont make it further then 40 days. Also, put into consideration that many people who fit into this cathegory are Interloper players, where the mode doesnt really make it easy to live on forever. But especially when it comes to Pilgrim players, survival past 200 days is really not that hard and even very new players can make it that far, especially if they don't attempt bear hunting. 

On the contrary, I think it is very realistic that the Hinterland will attempt something of this sort, because this adds a whole new range to the "long term" gameplay. As we all likely know, TLD gets very repetitive in the late stage of the game - when you have all the craftable clothes, all the supplies in the house, stockpile of hides and meat in front of the house, TLD gets boring and most people quit to play a new game. 

If seasons changed, there would be new things to do, perhaps we would see re-growth in the game, maybe resources othervise inaacessible in the winter (which would prompt the player to stockpile them for winter), quite possibly new locations to explore entirely, as the winter weather would tone down a bit, and somewhere would unthaw a passage into another part of the island. Pretty sure that would be awesome.

6 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

its not really proper to claim most people dont make it further then 40 days.

He is basing these numbers off of the steam achievements.  According to the Steam numbers, most people don't make it very far.

Just now, Wade said:

He is basing these numbers off of the steam achievements.  According to the Steam numbers, most people don't make it very far.

I know, I noticed. I mentioned why those numbers are not very precise as to "number of people never making it past that" - because many of those statistics are done by seasoned players, playing the game with some sort of challenge. Often Interloper. Some players like Timber Wolf would play the scenarios where they are hunted by old bear just to play sandbox normally, while being hunted. 

Those statistics get recorded as well. And as far as "days in average survived" - I wouldnt expect it to be much past 40, because the highest amount of deaths in the game all around is within the first 10, 20 days - be it difficult modes like Interloper, or easier ones for new players. People with really long games, like 200 days plus will rarely die since they are very careful and increasingly more experienced. Fact being that most people in those games just get bored, and will delete them to play a new one instead of dying.

1 minute ago, Wade said:

Seasons was a wonderful idea they put on the road map.  Clearly a far reaching aspiration.  If it happens prior to 2020, you can have my least dirty pair of thermal underwear.  We can dream though right?

Ever played Skyrim? If so, ever tried to play it with mods? 

This is more than a dream. It is obvious that one of the biggest goals of Hinterland will now be adding a mod support. Once that happens, the game will be opened to community influence, and the game will grow in all matters of content.

I don't see why we shouldn't expect to see things like more firearms (for those who want them), season changes, and much, much more, in a lot shorter period than in 2020. I estimate that within a year from mod support release, the game with all its mods will grow 6 times in content it has right now. Cause Skyrim wasn't a Sandbox, I think maybe a better comparison would have been Minecraft.

1 minute ago, Mroz4k said:

This is more than a dream. It is obvious that one of the biggest goals of Hinterland will now be adding a mod support. Once that happens, the game will be opened to community influence, and the game will grow in all matters of content.

Yeah, and when do you suppose mod support will be?  They have stated over and over that it will not come until the game is finished.  Last time I checked they still had 3 episodes to finish.  Do you really expect them to finish those episodes in less than 18 months?

Good point. But priorities change. And who knows, maybe they will. They just commited a massive update to Sandbox. Once that is polished, I expect them to be hard at work on the story mode. Now the question is - will they only add a single episode one, or two, or all three of them at the same time? 

And if not all 3 of them, what will be the sandbox update in the meantime?

Besides, I am pretty sure I heard them say (in this update as well) that they are hard at work on the mod support, and that its not yet in the game, but they want it.

It is not unreasonable to think that mod support will come along with the episodes. I am guessing they probably said that they want to add it AFTER the episodes to get the community of their backs for a while, because many people here are incredibly impatient.

KinoUnko , it would be cool to see it in the story modes and then slowly have it transition to sandbox mode. I have yet to start the story mode because I got so wrapped up in the sandbox mode. I may be wrong but there is no difficulty setting for story mode?

Mroz4k , I could definitely see Winter being the only season for the game because of what you said. That's why maybe it could be only with sandbox if they wanted to really stick to the story for story mode. I would really like to see seasons implemented because it would allow plants to grow back and many things could be added with seasons changing but its all wishful thinking at this point.

Wade , I am also loving the custom difficulty as well. I'm pretty terrible at fighting off the wolves but I want the weather to be harsher than it is on pilgrim mode so the custom difficulty is perfect. It really allows one to personalize their own experience even more than the game already allows.

I am really enjoying this thread, thank you for the great discussion. I know this is the wish list thread but any suggestions for a new player? I try not to look at maps that people have made just so there are more surprises and it creates even more of a sense of wonder.

45 minutes ago, spaceman89 said:

I try not to look at maps that people have made just so there are more surprises and it creates even more of a sense of wonder.

Never use those.  The most exciting part of TLD is when you are exploring an area you have never been in.  Oh how I envy someone just starting out, with so much area unexplored.  My advice for a new player would be to take your time, play your own style, try to learn things on your own, and don't get discouraged.  With experience will come more and more success.

Archived