Scissors

The_Materialist

I think the tool deparment needs a little work, tools currently have two functions: Increase the speed of an action or unlock an action. Examples are, harvesting curtains with a knive is faster then with the hand. An example for unlocking is that harvesting saplings isn't possible without a hatchet or hacksaw. When I think of it there are actions which require some absurd combinations. For example to craft a coat you need a knive or a hatchet. Well granted one probably could make this work but it would be a pain. Have you ever cut something with a hatchet? Yes they are sharp, but do you really think this is even remotely convenient? No. And it shouldn't be. A knive is a bit better for crafting/sewing but what the tool of choice should be is scissors. I suggest adding scissors with let's say second priority. I think first of all the skill system should be adjusted and the UI should be more clear about which tool does what and with what speed. The crafting UI is horrible, it doesn't say what increases the crafting speed and what effect simple and quality tools have. But then the scissors: 

weight 0.2-0.3 kg, reduces harvesting time of curtains, clothes and shoes by 50-75%. Reduces crafting time by 15-35% for clothes. Can be used in a struggle but not as effective as a knive. has to be sharpened with a whetstone and yields one scrap metal if harvested. Rarety should be something around can openers.

advantages: more immersion, specific crafting tool, balanced through whetstone use, decrease of cabin fever through crafting sessions

disadvantages: more clutter, development time taken away from other more important projects like skill balance and crafting UI.

Thoughts?

You should be able to use knives and other sharp tools to harvest clothing quicker. I've tried ripping apart a pair of gloves with my hands and I couldn't even do it. But I pulled out my pocket knife and it went in a second. It only makes sense, especially for the larger items that take longer.

2 hours ago, Fuarian said:

You should be able to use knives and other sharp tools to harvest clothing quicker. I've tried ripping apart a pair of gloves with my hands and I couldn't even do it. But I pulled out my pocket knife and it went in a second. It only makes sense, especially for the larger items that take longer.

Especially for larger items. Jackets sometimes will take 1 h 30 min to harvest. This is insane.. I mean even without a knive it will not take me 1 h 30 min to rip apart a jacket. Shoes is a different story but the point is there should be the option to increase harvesting speed with a tool. And on top of that the UI should better indicate what does what. If one crafts a bow with a hatchet which is apperently slower and you put in 4 hour before it will not even finish the bow. It will go 4 hours and then say hey you have still 1 hour 33 min left to finish the bow. And I was like: WFT?!

On 11/1/2017 at 7:32 PM, The_Materialist said:

Have you ever cut something with a hatchet? Yes they are sharp, but do you really think this is even remotely convenient? No.

Well, if I had to use the hatchet to cut hide in real life, I'd clamp the head of the hatchet in a vice on a workbench (which, conveniently enough, is exactly what the game gives us for crafting!). Voila.. a stable, upright blade that I can draw/slide/pull objects against to make reasonably precise cuts! Not even terribly inconvenient.

Clamping tools in a vice or other holder, then moving the work piece against them, is a highly under-rated technique. One I make use of regularly in real life, because I find it often gives superior control to using the handle(s) of the tool to move it against the work piece.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:32 PM, The_Materialist said:

A knive is a bit better for crafting/sewing but what the tool of choice should be is scissors.

Have you ever tried using regular scissors on cloth or hide? On cloth, it's a huge pain in the ass, and generally results in a very poor job. On leather or hide, forget it. Proper dress-makers scissors are good on cloth, do a poor-to-passable job on leather, depending on the thickness, and are almost useless for hide.

38 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Have you ever tried using regular scissors on cloth or hide? On cloth, it's a huge pain in the ass, and generally results in a very poor job. On leather or hide, forget it. Proper dress-makers scissors are good on cloth, do a poor-to-passable job on leather, depending on the thickness, and are almost useless for hide.

Well I get your point with hide and leather. Those are indeed not easy to cut with scissors. But cloth is totally manageable. The reasoning with the hatchet and the workbench works for me. That would make it easier.

• 1 month later...

Archived