"Do NOT attempt..."

TROY

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

Agreed.

However, that being said..

As discussed in another thread, I think cleaning a loaded rifle should definitely lead to injury, or even death. Stupidity should be rewarded.

Likely not going to happen though. One of the steps of cleaning a firearm is to open the action to allow the cleaning brushes to run the entire length of the barrel. Any loaded cartridges would be ejected at that time. Further, the first step of cleaning is usually to unload. A while back a post on this topic reached the consensus that unloading was the first step of cleaning and the game just did it for you automatically.  

9 hours ago, cekivi said:

A while back a post on this topic reached the consensus that unloading was the first step of cleaning and the game just did it for you automatically.

And presumably, then reloads the same number of rounds automatically when you're done? Hmmm..

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

And presumably, then reloads the same number of rounds automatically when you're done? Hmmm..

The alternative is a random chance you are injured in a game that can already be punishing. Also, while loading/unloading can certainly be added to rifle cleaning it doesn't really add anything to the game. And, yes, why not load in the same number of rounds? Presumably you placed them in or near your cleaning kit when you started so why not reload once you've finished? Or don't unload at all (note: don't ever do this!) since removal of the bolt for cleaning would prevent the rifle from firing regardless. For a round to fire while cleaning the rifle has to be loaded and cocked with no safety on. 

To put it another way: you would never clean a Lee Enfield as depicted in the game with the bolt closed. Doing so would damage the firing mechanism. Furthermore, failure to remove the bolt means the most important part of the firearm (the action) would not be cleaned. I just fail to see any scenario where a person who has basic firearms training wouldn't, as their first step, clear the action in preparation for cleaning. Proper control of your gun (i,e. keep it unloaded and safetied unless ready to fire) is literally the second rule of firearm safety as taught in Canada. Not pointing the gun at a person (especially yourself) is number one.  

Long story short, I find it much more plausible that your character reloads after safely cleaning the rife as opposed to deliberately ignoring everything they know about firearms.  

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

Long story short, I find it much more plausible that your character reloads after safely cleaning the rife as opposed to deliberately ignoring everything they know about firearms.  

So what you're saying is that someone like our intreprid survivor, who can sprain his/her ankle or wrist just by standing close to a pile of snow, can't accidently shoot themselves in the foot?  (I am joking - my original suggestion was not really for serious debate, just more for a chuckle)  ;)

Cleaning the rifle should automatically unload it. 

Its not hard to implement, understand, or playthrough and properly recognizes gun safety. 

If you choose to clean your rifle in the middle of a situation where you also need to shoot your rifle, you are doing it wrong already and any impediment this creates is realistic and entirely the player's fault.

Easy mechanics upgrade that would display both refinement and prowess, if done.

1 hour ago, selfless said:

Its not hard to implement, understand, or playthrough and properly recognizes gun safety. 

If you choose to clean your rifle in the middle of a situation where you also need to shoot your rifle, you are doing it wrong already and any impediment this creates is realistic and entirely the player's fault.

+1 for a good idea ;)

11 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

So what you're saying is that someone like our intreprid survivor, who can sprain his/her ankle or wrist just by standing close to a pile of snow, can't accidently shoot themselves in the foot?  (I am joking - my original suggestion was not really for serious debate, just more for a chuckle)  ;)

Hopefully not :) 

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, selfless said:

I don't accept the part with "Your character knows how to deal with it, so he/she does it automatically". This can be extended to a lot of other occasions for example: Putting out a fire when you walk into it, invisible borders on cliffs as normally one would not walk off them, or automatically cook raw meat when you want to eat it etc.

To me the question is: How important is it to my survival? Do I need to do this every day?

I don't want to have the game littered with 100s of little details that need to be taken care of before I can step outside. But I do want to experience some details with regards to surviving. 

I don't mind the magical water bottles, or that water doesn't freeze when stored outside at -30 C. Or that I don’t need a bathroom. I would have to deal with these multiple times every day making it annoying. But for the rifle it is an important part of my survival strategy and cleaning it is not a daily task. So in my opinion having the gun go off during cleaning if it is loaded would not make the game tedious and hence would be a nice addition.

Then there is also the bow. Having a bow under tension all the time actually deteriorates its performance especially since it is a simple wooden bow. When storing a bow the string needs to be loosened. This would become tedious as I would need to unstring/string the bow several times a day.

4 hours ago, Xanthos said:

Pasted from word .... sorry for ruining the esthetics of the forum.

When you paste it in, the forum software gives you the option to keep or remove the formatting.. if you select 'remove', it turns it into regular plain text.

11 hours ago, Xanthos said:

When storing a bow the string needs to be loosened. This would become tedious as I would need to unstring/string the bow several times a day.

The rifle degrades after every shot. You should clean the rifle after every shot (or every few shots). This would get just as tedious very quickly. 

I repair it when it degrades to 75% or when i need to pass some time. In reallity it never hits the 75% because of the latter. For the bow it needs to be done the moment you need to use it or put it away. So you can't choose a convenient time for this. Btw: walking around with a loaded gun is also a risk, hunters that i know usually have the gun unloaded until they spot prey. But i don't want to go that far .... you fell, sprained your wrist and shot yourself. :P 

Update: One more thought, how many bullet does one get? Assume a 100 then cleaning after every 8 shost will result in 15x unloading and loading before the gun becomes useless. So 30 additional actions during an entire game. For me that is perfectly acceptable. Ofcourse you can clean after every shot but that is the same as cooking each piece of meat on a seperate fire, making things unnecessary tedious.

@ Jafo

I didn't notice that option, thanks will use it next time

Archived