Quarterring penalty extra weight is pretty unfair

Vinceofpyrenees

From this 4,95kg bag, I can only collect 2,50kg of meat. I know Hinterland says they always choose the balancing rather than the realism, but sometimes it is not the good choice. Survival isn't a collection of balanced choices and balanced items. Some things don't be worth other ones. Quarterring doesn't deserve to be penalized like that rather than in situe  harvesting. Why 2,5kg of extra weight ?

screen_(0, 2, 1)_683604b0-984c-46be-9521-39da7e4d0654.png

Yea, the body is not just meat, you know... quartering is a "fast" option you have to take the whole animal with you, and then remove the "heavier" parts like bones, horns, skull, but also the unedible organs in a safer, possibly warmer location. It is only natural that the "quartered" bits are heavier than the edible, cleaned meat in the end.

1 minute ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

No, because I have all that elsewhere. And bones clearly (visually) are let on the ground after quarterring.

Some are, but not all of them. Some bones are easier to separate from meat then others - for example ribcage can be separated rather well, at least from what I have heard. But yea, there are other "materials" then just a meat contained within a body of the prey. For example the stomach, and its contents, could be potentionally rather heavy. In the game, you cant eat organs even if they are edible - and so this part of the "quarter bag" is getting thrown away. 

@Carbon is exactly correct with his answer.  Its the bones.  The advantage of quartering is time saved to get the animal transportable  and get it indoors where you can harvest the meat without it and you freezing.  It doesnt seem like much time saved with a wolf or deer, but a bear is a huge difference between quartering and butchering. (and I suspect so will the moose be, if we ever see it)  The one thing the game DOES get wrong is not allowing quartering with a hacksaw. Its actually done with a hacksaw, not a knife. A hacksaw should be required, not exempted and a hatchet would be a less efficient secondary tool. In real life, (hunting circumstances) it's usually only done if moving the entire animal (after gutting it) is impossible, or so difficult as to be impractical.  With a deer, or wolf, we really really should be able to drag them back to camp and do the harvesting somewhere more practical than wherever it died, but the game is based and tuned for challenge, not realism. 

Archived