Radios during an Aurora.

Sirdoeboy01

5 hours ago, Sirdoeboy01 said:

Since radios work during an Aurora it would be cool if had some positive affect on the character, like maybe it could help with reducing or getting rid of cabin fever.

Yes.  The game I often associate with TLD is This War of Mine.  In that game, the radio (or playing a guitar) helps to keep up the spirits of the survivors, which is an important part of the game.

I think reducing cabin fever would be an excellent use of the aurora radios.

Considering how unnatural the auroras are, I think it would actually have a reverse effect - it would freak the hell out of me, and I think that it would freak the hell out of anybody, this is not how the electricity is supposed to work. On one side, I would be glad to be inside knowing what awaits outside, but the flickering lights are proven by studies to be disruptive and unnerving. 

Then in comparison you have the radio sound which is calming. 

I dont know, I dont think this is a bad idea and I wouldnt mind to have it like that in the game, but I dont consider this a neccesary change, or even one worth the development time to be implemented.

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

Considering how unnatural the auroras are, I think it would actually have a reverse effect - it would freak the hell out of me, and I think that it would freak the hell out of anybody, this is not how the electricity is supposed to work. On one side, I would be glad to be inside knowing what awaits outside, but the flickering lights are proven by studies to be disruptive and unnerving. 

I dont know, I dont think this is a bad idea and I wouldnt mind to have it like that in the game, but I dont consider this a neccesary change, or even one worth the development time to be implemented.

Just having the radios play at all isn't really necessary, but Hinterland included it.  If it were me out there, in a new, chaotic, challenging world, hearing the sounds of "normality" – if only for brief, surreal moments – would move me greatly.  It really is profound, when you think about it, hearing classical music play in the middle of a vast wasteland.  It would be nice for it to have a real effect on the character, rather than just being a novelty.

8 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

That's a fantastic point, actually. Even having Auroras every night in my game, the flickering lights and creepy radio music still freak me out. It's all very... unsettling.

I like the idea of radio music having soothing effects on the character, but I think that would only work if you took the radio somewhere that otherwise has no flickering lights and electric buzzing. Then your character could just close their eyes for a bit and pretend they're somewhere safe and normal.

Archived