Craftable flare shells and rifle ammo.

Kaiservadin

Agreed with @StrayCat. The whole point is that the ammo is extremely limited and valuable. I assume that in the future, when the NPCs make it into the Sandbox, there may be a way to get some very small quantities of these rare materials through barter or robbing.

Dont let yourself be fooled by the logic of videogames - modern gun powder is impossible to make without the use of industrial equipment or sophisticated lab, and pretty elaborate chemistry knowledge. The smokeless gunpowder is a nitrated celulose, and in my prepper part of life, Ive researched various ways to make it in a limiting situation - it is not easy and average person would not even know the difference between the modern and ancient gunpowder, let alone knew how to make the modern one. 
As opposed to the black gunpowder which is used in the old muskets and flintlock firearms, and is fairly easy to create even in limited situations. This gunpowder produces black smoke and cannot be used with the modern weapons because it can destroy them very fast - so unless they introduce a one-shot flintlock muskets, I doubt we will see craftable gunpowder, as much as I would like to see it. Could be pretty damn cool to go out hunting with a gunpowder musket.

Now, maybe if the smokeless gunpowder could be found, as well as shell casings (which could technically be salvaged after firing them out of your rifle), then primers and finally the actual bullets, and a manual could be found (or would be a part of the firearm skill), maybe on a reloading bench somewhere you could construct new rifle bullets. I am not sure if that would be such a good thing for the game, though...

Better to just get used to Bow. You can always rely on bows for long term.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 0:07 PM, Mroz4k said:

Agreed with @StrayCat. The whole point is that the ammo is extremely limited and valuable. I assume that in the future, when the NPCs make it into the Sandbox, there may be a way to get some very small quantities of these rare materials through barter or robbing.

Dont let yourself be fooled by the logic of videogames - modern gun powder is impossible to make without the use of industrial equipment or sophisticated lab, and pretty elaborate chemistry knowledge. The smokeless gunpowder is a nitrated celulose, and in my prepper part of life, Ive researched various ways to make it in a limiting situation - it is not easy and average person would not even know the difference between the modern and ancient gunpowder, let alone knew how to make the modern one. 
As opposed to the black gunpowder which is used in the old muskets and flintlock firearms, and is fairly easy to create even in limited situations. This gunpowder produces black smoke and cannot be used with the modern weapons because it can destroy them very fast - so unless they introduce a one-shot flintlock muskets, I doubt we will see craftable gunpowder, as much as I would like to see it. Could be pretty damn cool to go out hunting with a gunpowder musket.

Now, maybe if the smokeless gunpowder could be found, as well as shell casings (which could technically be salvaged after firing them out of your rifle), then primers and finally the actual bullets, and a manual could be found (or would be a part of the firearm skill), maybe on a reloading bench somewhere you could construct new rifle bullets. I am not sure if that would be such a good thing for the game, though...

Better to just get used to Bow. You can always rely on bows for long term.

Yeah your right bow is about the best we are going to get but i would like to see FIRE and POISON arrows. Where poison arrows do extra bleed damage.

On 5. 9. 2017 at 4:03 PM, Kaiservadin said:

Yeah your right bow is about the best we are going to get but i would like to see FIRE and POISON arrows. Where poison arrows do extra bleed damage.

Yea, but as far as poisons go, there is not much to work with in arctic. Poisons are more of a thing further south with warmer climates.
The only kind of "poison" I can think of is a fish poison made out of a birch bark. The oils in it are somewhat poisonous to fish and can paralyze them. Or so I have heard - I never tested that out myself, so I cant claim for sure. 

If there is some easily accessible poison native to the Canada´s arctic enviroment, I wouldnt mind it. But I am not aware of this, to tell the truth.

I am all for fire arrows, but wouldnt that be sort of a waste? You would ruin that arrow with that shot. Not what I would personally do, but to each their own.
I can totally see fire arrow crafting through a use of Cattail head, an arrow, and some lantern fuel. There you have it, a fire arrow recipe right there.

13 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Yea, but as far as poisons go, there is not much to work with in arctic. Poisons are more of a thing further south with warmer climates.
The only kind of "poison" I can think of is a fish poison made out of a birch bark. The oils in it are somewhat poisonous to fish and can paralyze them. Or so I have heard - I never tested that out myself, so I cant claim for sure. 

If there is some easily accessible poison native to the Canada´s arctic enviroment, I wouldnt mind it. But I am not aware of this, to tell the truth.

I am all for fire arrows, but wouldnt that be sort of a waste? You would ruin that arrow with that shot. Not what I would personally do, but to each their own.
I can totally see fire arrow crafting through a use of Cattail head, an arrow, and some lantern fuel. There you have it, a fire arrow recipe right there.

Regarding poison, isn't there always the issue of poisoning the meat you are planning to eat? I have never even considered hunting with poison, but I could imagine you'd be eating that same poison when you eat your prey.

As regards fire arrows... they could be a craftable counterpart to flare shells. The downside would be, as you correctly say, that you would be wasting an arrow shaft on a single use, the upside would be that you don't need an arrow head. Plus you could scare off predators.

7 hours ago, Hesha said:

Regarding poison, isn't there always the issue of poisoning the meat you are planning to eat? I have never even considered hunting with poison, but I could imagine you'd be eating that same poison when you eat your prey.

Nope, that is not how it works. If it did, why do you think native tribes all over the world use poisons for hunting? :D
Many poisons are only poisonous to specific animal, and are harmless to humans. And even if they were harmful to humans, poisons in the end are always of organic nature. I will spare you the boring chemistry lesson, but whenever you are cooking meat, you are adding heat which causes the carbohydrates to fall apart to smaller, shorter carbohydrates. What this means in practise is that the "raw meat" and "cooked meat" are no longer the same chemical substance - cooked meat is made to be more easily edible. Also, the poison within the meat would also fall apart - and would become harmless. At least in most cases - in some cases, it can still be poisonous. Which is why that particular poison would never be used for poison hunting. 

7 hours ago, Hesha said:

As regards fire arrows... they could be a craftable counterpart to flare shells. The downside would be, as you correctly say, that you would be wasting an arrow shaft on a single use, the upside would be that you don't need an arrow head. Plus you could scare off predators.

I suppose that is one way to look at it, a craftable flare shell. However, the arrowhead would still be neccesary, I am affraid... on top of the other items. It would, however, be recoverable in the end - from a "burnt" arrow.

How would the arrowhead be necessary? All you need is a weight at the tip of the arrow, you could you a small pepple or whatever for that. You don't need a forge crafted metal arrow head just to balance out the bow. The arrow doesn't need to penetrate anything.

15 hours ago, Hesha said:

How would the arrowhead be necessary? All you need is a weight at the tip of the arrow, you could you a small pepple or whatever for that. You don't need a forge crafted metal arrow head just to balance out the bow. The arrow doesn't need to penetrate anything.

Then by saying "what is a fire arrow" we do not see eye to eye.
Fire arrows can be several things - what I see are basically the same arrows like regular ones, only they have added section which can be set on fire. To both add a "burning" injury to the wound, ignite the surroundings, or allow the archer to see the arrow trajectory in the night, neccesary for medieval night warfare. 

Fire arrows which were created specifically to set flamable material ablaze may not require a pointy end. But an arrow like that would have very little hunting potential - it is difficult to set something ablaze in arctic conditions, and you would likely not penetrate animal hide with a flaming arrow without the actual sharp part, unless you sharpened the end of the wooden stick. The only real usage for that would be to ward off animals who may be affraid of a fire, but such fire arrow would likely be less successful then a lit torch, I imagine.

Most historically used medieval fire arrows had a metal head, and it was basically a "cage" filled with flamable tinder, often soaked in oil or resin to burn bright and for long enough to travel all the way to the intended target.
2255081.jpg

Now, back on the poisons: I have to admit, this intriqued me quite a bit. Being able to use poisons for hunting. I have sank at least six hours of internet research into this already, so far came up fairly empty. I am trying to focus on inuit tribes and what they used for hunting or knew to be poisonous, so far I came up mostly empty. There are variety of poisons but none seem to go up to northern Canada. Will keep looking.

The only poisonous plants I came across - Red baneberry, which was known by inuits to be poisonous, and is rather poisonous, but found no instance that it would be used to hunt. This makes me think it either isnt poisonous to animals, or the poison transfers into a meat, meaning it is not a poison one can use for hunting. However, since its a red berry, would be kind of cool if it was introduced to TLD to make rose hip collection for newbies harder. If they made a tea out of red baneberry, it is an instant bye-bye. Brutal in its way, a new learning experience in TLD.

Additionally, I can think of its use being a poison to animal, meaning that it would kill the animal quicker, but the downside would be that the meat would be unusuable. But red baneberry is native to woods in Alaska, not really Canada as far as I can tell.

Another, arctic flower I found to be poisonous is permacrest. Little purple flower, this beauty is supposedly also poisonous, but not that much. Some parts of it were also used to medicinal herbal teas and poultices before. What really made me interested was a mention that one of these poultices includes "a cure to frostbite" - when an extract was pushed into a poultice and the afflicted area was covered for a day, to remove any infection out of it and help revitalize it. Combined with water therapy, I imagine this method could be used to treat frostbite. But this is a knowledge average person would not possess.

Will keep digging to see if I can find some arctic or canadian poisons which would be sufficient to be used for hunting of big game. There are plenty of mentions of wolf-specific poisons but most of these are links to Native american tribe hunting methods, utilizing plants growing in US areas.

Primal source I am using atm is this ebook.

Archived