Does the Flashlight scare wolves?

Ruruwawa

Have you ever scared a wolf with one?  If it didn't scare the wolf, how close were you when you switched the flashlight on?

The story implies that, as an electric light, the flashlight should scare wolves.  I've been lugging one around with me but I haven't had an aurora + wolf to test it.  A few people on reddit are saying the flashlight is ineffective to scare wolves but without providing situational details.  (For example, flares, torches and campfires are all ineffective if you light it after the wolf is charging.)

Has anyone tested this?  I'm trying to decide if my flashlight is worth keeping... 

I managed to scare off one wolf so far and it was before he actually charged me.

I turned the flashlight on as soon as I saw him and it worked after I set the flashlight to "high" shortly before he charged me, so I was able to blind him. 

Another time I did the more or less exact same thing it didn't work though, the wolf charged me anyway...

So I'm also thinking whether I should carry it around all the time, since it's kind of heavy, very situational and not that reliable. But I think I will just test it a little bit longer for now...   

I had the chance to test the flashlight on some "rainbow" wolves last night, when I came across three of them prowling around the ice on Mystery Lake.

3/3 - The flashlight did nothing.   I approached the wolves with my light turned on and switched to High mode as the wolves started trotting towards me, before the full growly charges started.

I'm probably going to just leave it behind and carry a couple extra flares to save weight.

1 hour ago, Larkid said:

I had the chance to test the flashlight on some "rainbow" wolves last night, when I came across three of them prowling around the ice on Mystery Lake.

3/3 - The flashlight did nothing.   I approached the wolves with my light turned on and switched to High mode as the wolves started trotting towards me, before the full growly charges started.

I'm probably going to just leave it behind and carry a couple extra flares to save weight.

You know that you can brighten the light so they will run away? It has worked for me every time.

5 minutes ago, Mixxut said:

You know that you can brighten the light so they will run away? It has worked for me every time.

"I approached the wolves with my light turned on and switched to High mode as the wolves started trotting towards me,"

Just now, Larkid said:

"I approached the wolves with my light turned on and switched to High mode as the wolves started trotting towards me,"

Welp, there is always the opportunity to just walk away from them.

There are too many bugs in wintermute...

Archived